1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ANWR

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Jun 27, 2008.

1. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Actually, your beef is with the oil companies. As stated above, there are 68 million acres of pre-existing federal oil leases not being worked. But the familiar buzzwords and shopworn cliches are always comforting to hear.

http://www.hvpress.net/news/126/ARTICLE/4662/2008-06-27.html

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Very nice response to the first graph. Especially coming from someone who pretends to be an ordained minster.

And are you referring to the hydroelectric dams that caused the forced displacement of millions of people without fair compensation for their homes or land? THOSE hydroelectric dams?

And no, I'm not talking about odd-even traffic days. I'm talking about the shuttering of factories that pollute to a factor we haven't seen in this country since the early 20th century. They'll be right back on-line by the end of the year.

3. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Actually our beef is with the oil companies, speculators and environmentalists.

They all share the blame in the lack of energy growth and capability in this country.

This is a situation that was created by both Democrats and Republicans. Not even through poor legislation as much as no legislation. Both groups sat on their hands for big oil - despite the belief it's just Republicans - and one party ran scared from the environmentalists because they didn't want to upset their base.

This was truly a bipartisan effort.

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Why can't we drill in ANWR *and* cut down on consumption, which is already starting to happen? The two aren't mutually exclusive. If you're a peak-oil disciple, shouldn't we try to get as much of the stuff out as possible?

5. http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/5669/1582/1600/ANWR.0.jpg

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The biggest problem has been the American people. Why worry about alternate forms of engergy when oil is cheap and plentiful -- even though everyone knows it won't be cheap and plentiful for long.

One of the administrations since the 70s should have led the charge in convincing the public that the patriotic thing to do is to wean ourselves off oil. But that has not happened.

7. Armchair_QB

We can. But people like Pastor don't have the mental capacity to understand that concept.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Because they have 68 million acres they can drill in now? And they may has well do it when oil is at $140 a barrel.

9. Armchair_QB

How much oil is in those lease areas? How easy is it to get out of the ground?

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The right's argument that it's the left's fault totally ignores George HW Bush signing an Executive Order in 1990 to protect the area.

11. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

From the piece I posted:

Currently, energy companies are not producing oil or gas on 68 million acres of federal land already under their control. Of the 47.5 million acres of federal land leased onshore by oil and gas companies, only about 13 million acres are actually producing oil and gas. Offshore, only 10.5 million of the 44 million leased acres are currently producing oil or gas. These unused areas could produce an additional 4.8 million barrels of oil and 44.7 billion cubic feet of natural gas each day, nearly double current domestic oil production. That would nearly double total U.S. oil production, and is more than six times the estimated potential peak production from ANWR.

12. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

No pretense about it. You may not like it, but that only shows your own insecurity.

As to the damn, I’m glad you finally used “The Google.”

I made no comment about the displacement of any people. I only commented on the steps taken. You should read more carefully.

I guess you’ll have to lump Ace into the “mental capacity” crowd. ::)

Draft saved Draft deleted