1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ANWR

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

And the price of gas is just plummeting as a result. The air's a lot cleaner too...

And I guess I missed the memo telling me I'm the only poster required to quantify everything I post. Especially on a thread chock full of wild ass guesses.

A five percent cut by one country does absolutely NOTHING to fix the environment or lower prices. If you aren't sane enough to understand that I can't help you.

2. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

A 5% cut in consumption saves us, um, 5%. It keeps us from drilling ANWR, which is a likely benefit to our environment.

And where is it written that gas prices - unlike most consumer goods in most of the world - must go down rather than up?

3. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

On a global scale, a 5% cut does very little, but to say it does nothing is woeful ignorance.

As to your first sentence, your choice of going to snark only means you know extremely little about what occurs in a country like China or India. I suggest you look up the steps that a country like China is taking.

They are moving slow because they want to protect their economy. However, they are moving. It is a far cry from what we are doing here, which is fuck all.

You keep clamoring for more drilling because, quite frankly, you are unwilling to make a sacrifice for your own country, your own children (should you have any, I don’t know) or your own neighbor. This country’s greatness, which made the world enviable, was built upon sacrifice and choices. Maybe this nation will get back to that. I doubt it though.

4. Armchair_QB

First of all, don't ever fucking tell me what I'm willing, or unwilling to do. You don't know me and you'll never know me.

Secondly, why is it ok for China to protect its economy but not ok for us to protect ours? What China is doing is nothing more than window dressing to make it look good through the end of August. You're seriously deluded if you think they're going to continue those cutbacks after the Games are over.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

With oil prices as high as they are per barrel, the oil companies need to be drilling in the millions of acres in the United States and offshore that they currently have leases on instead of continuing to whine about friggin ANWR.

6. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

This whole thing is pretty simple.

You drill safely where you can.
    You use more nuke power.
    You build more wind farms.
    You build more homes with solar panels.
    You create or produce more alternative types of fuel - Bio, ethanol (sugar and corn based).
    You create rewards for companies that discover new forms of energy or refine old methods - like a longer-lasting battery for hybrids.

YOU DO IT ALL!!!

Everyone happy? End of discussion.

7. Armchair_QB

As it stands right now they can't even drill in places offshore where other countries are drilling.

8. Armchair_QB

Makes sense to me but the treehuggers will never let the first two happen and the government has to prop up the next two to make them happen.

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Calm down. Take a deep breath, and let's look at this from another perspective.

Even if changing our habits of usage won't have the impact on prices or the environment, wouldn't it have a positive impact in the total amount of consumption? When we're talking about a finite resource (what do we do once ANWR runs out?), should our efforts be twofold? Reduce consumption to make the resource last longer, while very actively coming up with an alternative when the resource runs out.

Why would ANYONE be against such an idea?

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Oil companies right now have the rights to drill on 68 million acres. About half on land and half offshore. They just aren't doing it.

One reason is that we aren't even running at full capacity right now. So why drill. The oil companies are just tugging at ANWR for years down the road.

They know they are in a perfect spot to get whatever they want with prices so high and the false hope that opening up more land will lower prices.

The government ought to threaten to nationalize the industry. That would be fun.

11. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Here, let me help with your post.

As to your second, I wasn’t referring to anything they are doing for the Olympics. I’m referring to hydro-electric power coming from damns. I’m referring to windmills. In short, I’m referring to things that you haven’t bothered to educate yourself on.

As to the “protection” aspect of the economy… that is rather simple. Ours doesn’t need to take the steps that they do. Ours is already grown. A few tweaks here and there don’t affect all that much. I never said we couldn’t protect our economy, I only pointed out why they are moving slower that I, personally, would like them to move.

Then again, you still think I’m talking about setting traffic restrictions in the build-up to the Olympics.

12. Armchair_QB

Couple of congressmen already have.

Draft saved Draft deleted