1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ants Attack!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KG, Jan 18, 2009.

1. KG

KG Active Member

Okay, I'm stealing the thread title from the squirrel one, because I'm going just as crazy, if not more.

For months, I've been dealing with an ant problem. The little bastards will not go away. Screw the whole roaches will survive the nuclear fallout, these ants will beat even them. These ants are like Satan's little minions.

It all started back in the fall. I came home from work one day to find this trail of ants leading to the garbage. I just figured it had to do with the recent rain and them looking for food. I sprayed the trail and the garbage down with a bleach water solution, which killed them right away. Problem solved, right? Not even close.

They just kept coming back. Each time, I'd spray the trail with bleach water and kill them. Within a matter of days they'd come back. They were exploring all over my kitchen. There's no telling how much food I've had to throw out, because the little bastards found their way into my cabinets.

I can't even say for sure where they are coming from. I know it's somehow from within the walls. They find their way back into the tiniest crevice to emerge and escape. I suppose they could be under the house in the crawl space, but I can't be certain. They could be traveling for miles for all I know.

While it's much safer, I've abandoned the bleach and switched over to Raid. I'm using the Killer 16 Ant spray that's supposed to kill right away, then keep on killing for up to four weeks. Well I call BULLSHIT. Four weeks my ass! Yesterday, I killed a massive trail of ants along the ceiling in the kitchen, the same spot where I had to spray a trail about two weeks ago.

Today I sat down in the living room and felt something on my hand. It was one of those tiny little monsters. I got up and turned the light on to find about ten of them on the end table, scrambling about madly. What the hell are these bastards doing in my living room? I brought out the not-so-trusty raid and sprayed them into instant death.

The thing is, I'm about to lose my mind, seriously. I cannot take much more of this. I thought for sure they'd be gone, at least until spring. We had a couple of nights in the past week of single digits, so I thought the cold would have taken care of the problem, at least until March.

Other than move, I'm out of ideas. I come to you all, pleading for help. What do I do to get rid of these things once and for all? I need a solution that is safe in a house with animals, because I can't do anything that would make my dogs sick.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Move out of the South? That's what ended up working for me. Even in a southern town that had four seasons, I'd always end up with something or another in the house. Best thing to do is to be as clean (not saying you're not) as you can and hope that makes a dent.

3. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Find their ant hill or hole in the ground where they're coming from and pee on it. Seriously. It works.

4. KG

KG Active Member

Dools, I have used at least a gallon of bleach in the kitchen in the past month. It works fast, but doesn't keep working. Pete, if I find the hill or hole, I'm going to torture them until they are pleading for mercy the way I am now.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Sounds like Pharoah ants and if so, good luck to you... They're harmless, but they never stop. But a hole or hill isn't the issue.
    Last apartment complex I lived in had 'em. I'd complain, buy Raid, set traps...everything.
    Finally, they sent an exterminator out. Turns out the whole complex -- five buildings had them....
    Save yourself time... call Orkin

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Borax on the outside trail back to the mound works wonders.

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

The house I grew up in had 'em bad. We were able to control them with an exterminator's help. They are ruthless. Don't fight it. Call Orkin.

8. KG

KG Active Member

I was hoping to try and avoid the cost of an exterminator, but I may not have a choice.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

nooo. soooory.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Here are a few suggestions if you insist on doing it yourself:

http://www.epestsupply.com/ants.htm?gclid=COis5PvjmZgCFQEpGgod_jeUnA#Pharoah_Ants

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'm damn slow to make a lot of service calls, but if I find as many as two bugs congregating in my house I'm on the phone to the pest guys. Ants especially, hate 'em.

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Since it's turned cold, we've had more than a few lady bugs. We've been able to fend them off with raid and a Dyson.

Draft saved Draft deleted