1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Antitrust lawsuit against the NCAA

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

As in how a lot of successful pro athletes don't make donations back to the colleges that launched their careers?

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The High Point kids are also D-I, and they also play because of their scholarships. The difference is that they have to bus to games while Duke gets to fly first-class.

D-III and the Ivy League, plus the non-revenue D-Is are where college sports are pure. The rest of it is professional sports, except the athletes aren't allowed to become free agents and do commercials (except for those mealy-mouthed ones extolling how they're not going pro except in a non-sports career).

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

It's cute that there are still people dumb enough to believe that schools that don't have "big time" football and basketball are automatically running "pure" athletic departments.

You probably believe women's basketball coaches don't cheat because it's women's basketball…

4. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

I had a relative with solid grades in high school but it was because she was an accomplished runner she got into an Ivy. (A double win, she also got to live in the great state of New Jersey for four years.) I'm sure most student-athletes in her situation love their sport but their reward is more than pure enjoyment.

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I believe this. For most athletes, even in revenue sports, the value of their scholarship far outstrips the "worth" they bring to their universities. It's really only the elitest of the elite who aren't making out well. I'm thinking especially of those athletes who are stars, but may not end up with a big pro contract.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Could a D-League team win the NCAA tournament?
    I think so, and I doubt they'd have a close game. If the NBA recruited to the D-League from HS, regularly broadcast the games on NBA-TV and promoted it half as much as the WNBA, would they kick the shit out of the NCAA?
    Change the NBA rules to baseball rules, allow HS kids to go directly to the D-League or wait until after their Junior in college to get drafted, shit would be right in the world and Calipari would be coaching the Hawks or Bucks.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Whenever I see so many people wishing death or serious dismemberment to the NCAA, I wonder if they'd really enjoy a world without March Madness as it is. Because whatever would possibly replace the NCAA sure as heck isn't going to embrace the big and little schools in the same event. The power conferences are already getting their way in football and if they ever get their hands on basketball, they're sure as heck not letting the VCUs of the world have a chance at screwing things up.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Seems like an awfully selfish reason not to allow players to profit off their own names.

9. Morris816

Morris816 Member

Sometimes I wonder what the NCAA would have been like if pro football and basketball had minor league systems in place that date back many years ago, as is the case with pro baseball. Athletes coming out of high school have options available, meaning the best of the best will go directly to the pros and work their way up, while those who aren't there yet go to two-year or four-year institutions and hope they can reach the point they turn pro... or simply decide they want to play the sport they love for a couple more years and be done with it.

The problem I see is the NCAA wants to have it both ways. They want to consider college athletes "amateurs" but know they wouldn't survive if they weren't trying to promote the heck out of the top football program and players, and the top basketball programs, with promotion of top basketball players to an extent.

Then the money comes in, the big-name college athletes realize they are a big reason why and wonder why they can't have a slice of the pie. And then there are the players who were big names in college, didn't reach those heights in the pros, but people still remember their college days and the NCAA sees an avenue there for money.

What a tangled web that's been weaved.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Baron thinks nothing will change. LOL.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I am going to go against what Bob Cook (and I think others) have said about how paying athletes would ruin college sports. I think it would actually strengthen the games.

Look at football. More than 100 players with eligibility remaining entered the NFL draft this year. Many (most?) of those will be lucky to make $250,000 in their entire football careers. But you know what? Not getting a degree, and blowing out your knees playing for nothing, doesn't leave you in any better shape. At least this way you have a better chance to grind out some practice squad time, which pays six figures.

But if there is a chance to make a little money as a junior and senior, plus get a bonus for a degree, you'd see a lot more players stick around. And I guess this is where opinions differ greatly, but I would have had no problem with knowing my "classmates" were getting paid. In fact, seeing the cars they were driving around campus, I was pretty sure they were getting paid anyway.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I would find a way to enjoy a world without March Madness in it, yes.

But to address what I really think you mean: Yes, I enjoy it. Yes, I would miss it.

But what's right is right. And this isn't right.

Draft saved Draft deleted