1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Antietam Protest

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Jun 11, 2006.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Well, they actually do have the right to fly it.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Yes they do but if NASCAR wanted to they could ban it also . If you walk into an NFL stadium you are not allowed to wave a flag.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Maybe NASCAR is just more freedom-loving than the NFL. Boom, why don't you try an experiment? Get some friends go to the infield at the next race, boom rap music with the bass way up and get a giant black power fist flag to wave.

You can sit next to them, play Molly Hatchet at the same decibels and wave a Confederate flag.

See who gets towed first.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Hell I'd call the tow truck - I love Molly Hatchet.

5. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

I'm sure Tyler 71351 or one of our other fine Louisiana correspondents could vouch for this, but isn't this the human version of all the birdshit that is left on the statue of WT Sherman on the LSU campus?

The man founded the university and was very fond of Southerners. . . and that's what he gets in return. Like the AJC story describes... shameful and disgusting.

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Your trolling motor needs some maintenance, Boom.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The War to Eradicate Slavery. (Because that IS what it was about.) ;)

8. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Not to mention historically inaccurate.

Any one of those fine Southerners who calls it the "war of Northern Aggression" ever heard of Fort Sumter?

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Slavery was an abomination, and several of my long-ago relatives died fighting for the Army of the Republic.

But just for the sake of discussion, however, shouldn't states that voluntarily joined the union also have the right to voluntarily seceed?

Obviously Abraham Lincoln thought otherwise.

10. djc3317

djc3317 Guest

blah fucking blah.

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

12. Actually, the "we asked in so we can ask out" argument is as comstitutionally incorrect as it was militarily ineffective. The Constitution, it has been concluded, was established, not between the states, even though it was sent state-by-state for ratification, but by the body of the American people. Hence, its first three words. That's how an old Con Law expert explained it to me, anyway.

Draft saved Draft deleted