1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Antietam Protest

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Jun 11, 2006.

1. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I've had many a Southerner tell me it wasn't the Civil War. Rather, it was the War of Northern Agression.

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Well, you can add me to the list ... or start one with my name ... of Southerners who think the whole Confederacy issue was a bunch of crap to begin with. Of course, as a Texan, I also like to point out that, hey, I'm not really part of the South. Texas really is a whole other country.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

It just needed a little edit

4. You and old Sam Houston, eh?

5. Overrated

Overrated Guest

I thought this was about Dorothy's aunt in Wizard of Oz. I guess I should read more carefully next time.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

"You can't tell me what to do" -- is a pretty powerful motivation for 3-year-olds on up.

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

My son seems to think it works. ::)

Seriously, I have an enormous pride in being a Texan, just like some people (rightfully so) have pride in being Canadian, or Kentuckyian or whatever-an. Take pride in who you are, where you're from and don't put down others through your own pride. I love Texas but I don't think it's any better than any other state. It is, however, way, way different

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Alley,

If you didn't have an enormous pride in being a Texan, they'd boot you to Oklahoma.

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

That being said, when I see bumper stickers that said "Proud to be a redneck," and believe me there's a lot of them out here, I do an eye roll each time. It's never been something to be proud of in my eyes. But hey, to each his own.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

These are the same folks who proudly fly the confederate flag at NASCAR races. Dog 428 will tell you its a salute to southern heritage. I think its just a salute to ignorance.

At some point the fact that NASCAR still allows this to happen will hurt them.

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

NASCAR still has that redneck image, even at events well above the Mason-Dixon line. It's going to be a long time, Stars and Bars or not, before they shed that image.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Well NASCAR still does a lot indirectly to cultivate the image. When you see those idiots at Antietam you realize its not that far a stretch to think that these are some of fans in infield of Talladaga claiming they have a right to fly the stars and bars.

Draft saved Draft deleted