1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Antietam Protest

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Jun 11, 2006.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

On a semi-related note, the AJC ran a story today about how the Civil War Monuments in the National Parks system are being vandalized. In particular, Union memorials were being targeted for single-car vehicle accidents and paint-ball spatter.

2. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I can't stand what they stand for, but I have to give most of them credit (except for possibly the one cropped out on the right) for standing up unmasked for what they believe in. No matter how incredibly hateful it may be, they have the right to peacefully speak their minds just like the rest of us.

3. boots

boots New Member

And they have the right to get that ass kicked free of charge. This is AmerikkKa, dam it!

4. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Well, yeah. Just because you have the right to speak freely, that doesn't mean you can't face retribution.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I see bobblehead, trounced and lyman. Couple of those guys may be guests, though.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

I was think more like family reunion.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Antietam is a creek.
    Sharpsburg is the town.
    And assholes live everywhere.

(Damn, should have stuck this on Lou's thread)

8. DH is right about Antietam/Sharpsburg. FYI, the North named battles after geographical landmarks (rivers, etc), South after cities and towns (in general, obviously Gettysburg an exception). That's why it's called the Battle of Bull Run in the North, but First (and Second) Manassas in the South. Having lived above and below the M-D Line, I got used to hearing it both ways.

9. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I assume you were answering Boots question and not my Blues Brothers reference.

Just wanted to make clear the idiots wearing swastikas were from NoVa: http://www.nsmofnova.org/

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Oh, didn't bother checking that part. That area is close enough to three other states, so crossing state lines to get there is as easy as crossing the border from Mexico.

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

And like offensive TV, we also have the option of just ignoring them and not listening to their hate-filled vitriol. Of course, like the debates with gay bashers on this site, it's also enjoyable to debate them on their own merits.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

No offense to the many fine southerners on the board, but the fact that there are some down south who hold on to those distinctions (and others from the Civil War), well, it's pretty pathetic.

Draft saved Draft deleted