1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anticipated openings in Evansville, IN

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Tim Ethridge, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Tim Ethridge

Tim Ethridge New Member

As you've probably read, Tom Wyrwich is leaving Evansville for the Seattle Times. He did great work in just under two years here and, with more resources and better editing, will become even better out there. We've received the OK to hire a replacement who will take the University of Southern Indiana beat while helping out with preps (no football at USI). We've narrowed 80 resumes down to five that we'll look at more closely as soon as Football Book production is completed this week. The decision has been made to move to a universal desk, so our desk hire is now in the hands of the news editor. Thanks to everyone who corresponded; I hope I got back to all of you.

2. rcsoxfan

rcsoxfan Member

So, Has anybody gotten any word on anything happening with the job? I've not heard a peep since Tim posted the last time.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

yes, there officially is no crying in baseball in evansville.

4. I've heard that they're down to 3 finalists, but the publisher wants to bring somebody (this person might have already interviewed) in that he used to work with, who will likely get the job. There are also rumors that there might be a second writing opening, but they're probably filling that internally by moving someone from features over, and then freelancing some features stories like concerts etc.

Feel free to clarify...

5. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

I HEART THE JOURNALISM BUSINESS!!!!

6. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

had a friend who worked in Evansville out of college. The one thing he learned about that part of Indiana: Ask anyone there what time it is, or compliment their shoes, and if they don't hear or comprehend what you've said, their response is, "Do what?" (in the key of "git r done")

Draft saved Draft deleted