1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anti-theist randomly shoots and kills three

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Feb 11, 2015.

1. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Yes.

I love how you and others meander through conversations just to reference some non sequitur from another thread, like I follow or give a shit about some other nonsense you spew on another topic on this site.

There was nothing random about this shooting. I don't give a shit what Obama said about the randomness of some other event. It doesn't relate to this topic except in your strange, twisted brain.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Mr. Hicks appeared to have a deep dislike of all religion. On his Facebook page, nearly all of his posts expressed support for atheism, criticism of Christian conservatives or both.

Last month, he posted a photograph that said, “Praying is pointless, useless, narcissistic, arrogant, and lazy; just like the imaginary god you pray to.”

Mr. Hicks’s wife, Karen, insisted at a news conference that her husband was not a bigot. “I can say with absolute belief that this incident had nothing to do with religion or the victims’ faith, but it was related to a longstanding parking dispute that my husband had with the neighbors,” she said.

His wife also pointed out his support for gay rights and the right to abortion.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/12/us/muslim-student-shootings-north-carolina.html?_r=0

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I don't have the energy to dig into the subtext here.

Is the working YF theory that there was no parking dispute?

Boom_70 likes this.
  4. Dick Whitman

Reading the Times story - and I also think it was referenced here early on - I think that Muslims were a little quick on the draw to start complaining about lack of media coverage. This happened in the middle of the night, right? What was their gripe? The shaming of the media for not covering something enough, from the firefighters' deaths in Arizona to the murder of a Brooklyn transgender to every white person ever shot by a cop to Dean Smith's death in relation to Jerry Tarkanian's - is quickly becoming a cliche.

(That said, I have noticed and brought up here, perhaps even as a standalone thread, that certain types of rampage shootings tend to not get covered. This is usually when they involve insular communities, like one in Oakland, I recall, at an insular Asian church community.)

5. YankeeFan

No.

You guys are funny.

And, it's worse than the "iced-tea" thing. I guess none of you read the Vox interview where the President said this:

It is entirely legitimate for the American people to be deeply concerned when you've got a bunch of violent, vicious zealots who behead people or randomly shoot a bunch of folks in a deli in Paris.

The people shot "randomly" at a deli in Paris were shopping at a Kosher grocery store

Randomgate is why politicians are so boring - Vox

And, I guess you all missed the outrage that resulted from both the WH and State spokespersons defending that characterization, and refusing to call the shooting anything other than random:

Anti-Semitic horrors don’t exist in Obama’s world | New York Post

White House: Paris Kosher Supermarket Attack Was 'Random' (Updated) | The Weekly Standard

But, if three Muslims are killed by an anti-theist supporter of abortion and gay marriage, in their apartment complex, I'm supposed to assume it was motivated by the reigion of the victims, and is not an act of random violence?

6. YankeeFan

Happened around 5:00 PM, but the police didn't release the names until 2:00 AM.

7. Dick Whitman

That's the dumbest fucking controversy since we had to waste breathe discussing whether "act of terror" was the same as calling the perpetrators "terrorists."

People overuse and misuse "random," much like, "ironic."

You obsess about Josh Earnest press conferences way, way, way too much.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

yes. Thats what the nyt wants you to think

9. YankeeFan

LOL. People were angry that I used the term here, but the President using it regarding the targeting of folks at a Kosher grocery store should be glossed over -- even after spokespersons at both the White House and the State Department refuse to back away from the term?

What would folks be saying if a prominent official referred to this shooting of the three Muslims as random?

#muslimlivesmatter is already a thing as a result of the shooting, despite no evidence that the victims were targeted as a result of their religion.

10. Dick Whitman

Probably nothing, if it were then explained that what was meant by it was that the individual victims were not targeted.

You waste a ton of energy on this kind of "gotcha" bullshit.

11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I'll go ahead and say the words "Muslim" AND "anti-theist" are completely irrelevant to the story as it stands today, until a motive is known. Everything I've read until now supports that it was a random act.

12. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

For what reason would you suspect that a neighbor killing a neighbor with whom he was acquainted and had prior disputes is "random"? It is the antithesis of random.

Draft saved Draft deleted