1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anthrax cases solved?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Aug 1, 2008.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I had several friends closely effected by this -- including two who ruptured their Achilles while on Cipro due to these attacks -- so I hope this settles it once and for all...

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-suspect1-2008aug01,0,1343109.story

Good reporting by the LAT -- might be the last time we get to say that!

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Wow. I'm not normally a hang 'em high type of guy, but the suspect here can mostly definitely not RIP if he did this.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I've always wondered whatever happened to this case. Nice job by the FBI to close it (apparently). I still want to know why the victims were targeted. I hope we will find out.

4. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

I just posted the story and I'm not sure how to delete the db....I db'd myself. But I will post my questions.

how come it took so long for the investigation to get solved? seven years? Was he the main suspect, or were there others involved.
    Did anyone see a motive? This country was reeling after 9-11, what would drive a scientist to do this?

And Tiger, I agree that here is a LAT story with National appeal that we might not see down the road because of the cutbacks.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I've got to think that John Miller, the former ABC news guy, and former communications guy for the LAPD and now a deputy director of the FBI, leaked it - but it is nice to see a paper like the Times break a national story.
    Willman nailed this story.
    Kind of off topic, but I wonder why a paper wasn't able to nail down the Ted Stevens story, since its been on the radar for years.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

It lasted so long because, just like in the William Jewell case, the government was convinced it had its man (Hatfill) all along — and failed to exhaust all the leads.

Hatfill ... now there's a guy who should've got probably 50 times more than what he got from Uncle Sugar.

7. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

Hatfill and I went to the same high school. But he was there long before me.

I want to hear more about why this guy targeted certain people, particularly the media. Wasn't one of the targets a tabloid journalist? Wasn't that the first person to die?

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Seems very Arlington Road to me.

We'll never know what really happened, and I think that's the way They want it.

9. KG

KG Active Member

His death seems odd to me. I know a skilled microbiologist can certainly come up with something better than Tylenol3 to OD on.

10. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I heard this guy's brother on the radio today. He talked about how his brother was "hounded" then says, "I mean, if he's guilty, hang him!" Nice brother.

11. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

I was thinking the same thing after reading the "sang like a canary" quote in the article.

12. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

How much Tylenol did the guy take? a case?

I read this morning that he was involved in a patent for an anthrax vaccine. Possible motive.

Draft saved Draft deleted