1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anthony Robles, NCAA wrestling champion

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/asu/articles/2011/03/19/20110319asu-anthony-robles-wrestling-national-champion.html

It's not in this short story, but the guy has one leg.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Good thing it wasn't an ass-kicking contest ...

3. Smallpotatoes

Well-played.

4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I had the same thought, but wondered if I was just being an asshole. I don't know enough about wrestling to have any idea if he has any advantage or disadvantage in leverage, but he definitely looks bigger than the other 125 guys.

5. Petrie

Petrie Guest

I was thinking about this when I watched some highlights from yesterday. He really is unique because (1) he's always lower than his opponent, and (2) he has the upper body of a two-legged wrestler (at least) a couple weight classes up. The story is even more fascinating, I think, because having one leg really isn't a hindrance; in many cases, it's even an advantage.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

God bless him.

I'm still trying to figure out if one leg is an advantage or a disadvantage.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

He doesn't have to guess which leg his opponent is going to try to use to take him down.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Robles beat Utah Valley's Ben Kjar in the semis. Kjar was born with Crouzon syndrome and has had multiple surgeries to repair his facial structure.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I think I'd rather have the leg.

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

And congrats to Penn State on winning the team title.

11. Smallpotatoes

And Cornell beat out Iowa for second place.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I've seen him wrestle. It sure seems his opponents have to adapt to his style more than the other way around. I've also seen him do some moves, that I wonder if a two-legged wrestler could do. Does anyone know if he is able to avoid takedowns by usually staying low to the mat?

Draft saved Draft deleted