1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anthony Lane's Scarlett Johansson profile in The New Yorker

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by H.L. Mencken, Mar 21, 2014.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

"Scarlett Johansson is unremarkable in every way, I don't know why people think she's pretty. A gentleman's 6, at best."
    Said no one, ever.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

3. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I didn't read it, but it's strange that he would do a feature on her & have it be all about her looks. She took a political stand recently that got her a lot of heat in Hollywood circles. There's what to write about besides her banister-like nose.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

This was probably in the can before that broke.

5. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

That's in the story. Albeit barely.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I guess Romain's brain isn't as attractive as it used to be:

In 2014, Scarlett Johansson had a daughter, whom she named Rose Dorothy. Then she married Rose’s father, Romain Dauriac, a former journalist who now works as an art show curator in New York City. “I love his brain more than anything,” she told People at the time. “He does all the sweet gestures for me. He’s a gentleman.”

7. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

She recently said she doesn't believe in monogamy. Which I guess shouldn't be surprising since she's only 32 and has already been divorced twice. At least she knows she probably shouldn't get hitched again.

8. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

I didn't read anything past he's a former journalist.....bags are packed for NY!

sgreenwell likes this.
  9. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Her man haircut is awful.

I rarely read these celeb features. I'm too cynical. What am I going to learn about someone from a reporter who had maybe 20 minutes, supervised by a PR flack that won't let it get interesting? Nothing.

10. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

I've never understood why beautiful women insist on doing this. I guess they want to see if anyone will pay attention if they look like a man.

11. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Depends on the person. I thought Jennifer Lawrence looked good with the short haircut a few years back.

12. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

You're looking for substance from someone who has made her looks a talking point for most of her adult career?

She's talented and pretty and she chooses interesting movies, so yeah, if I see her name attached to something, I'll give it a look. However, she's been known to say some pretty vapid things to reporters. One interview that comes to mind quotes her belief that she is a muse/angel of vitality to the aging men she works with and she considers them her "fathers." Maybe her PR person knows it's better to limit access.

Draft saved Draft deleted