1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anthony Kim

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Covered the AT&T National last week and a lot of the questions in yesterday's post-round presser had to do with Kim being "the guy" to challenge Tiger Woods once he gets back. Kim was fairly humble about it, saying he hadn't accomplished enough yet to even be considered for that title.

It's a fair question though. Multiple winner at age 23, one win at a great event with great competition (Wachovia) another at a great event with somewhat watered down competition (AT&T). But he's never contended in two major starts, has never played Augusta, never played the British or the PGA.

I walked with him for much of the back nine and was struck with a couple of things that make me believe he at least has a shot to be "the guy."

* Great demeanor. He hit some bad shots, but he took his medicine, found ways to grind out par and attacked when he was sure he had a great shot at birdie.

* Charisma. He interacts with the crowd, always walks around with a smile, looks like he's having a lot of fun out there. As much as people like Adam Scott, I feel like he totally lacks that factor, which is why people are slow to latch on to him. Plus, Kim is American, Scott Australian.

* An ability to clamp down when he has to. He realized he had the lead yesterday and he made it clear that someone was going to have to come get him. He wasn't giving up any shots. That's the sign of someone who has it together.

He just seems to have a great mental makeup that guys like Scott, Mickelson and Sergio lack. Can Kim do it consistently? That's obviously the question. He'll have a lot of time this summer to showcase it -- British, PGA, Ryder Cup, playoffs. Is Kim the guy who can jump up and give golf fans someone to talk about while Tiger is on the mend?
  2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Isn't he the first under 25 to win twice in a season since Tiger did it? I swear I read that somewhere.

Dude's having a hell of a year but I'm not ready to anoint him Tiger Lite (no one will ever become another Tiger).
  3. ondeadline

ondeadline Active Member

I believe Kim is the first *American* under 25 to win twice in the same season since Woods did it.
  4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, first American. That's what I meant.
    Why the asterisks around American? He was born in LA.
  5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

That's weird.
  6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Plus that new belt buckle is awesome.
  7. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Until he registers--say, a top 5 finish, in the hunt on the final day--in a major, he's nothing more than your average joe PGA golfer.

When he strings together several top 5 major runs and multiple major wins, then you can lump him in with the tier below Tiger.

The road is littered with young professional golfers that were the next big thing. Maybe you'll be right, Cosmo, but it's too, too early to tell at this point.
  8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I definitely think the rest of this year will be a big test for him, especially with Tiger still out. The kid has a history of being lackadaisical, but he swears those days are behind him. But with two tour wins, his card is secure through 2011 ... does that lessen his motivation or increase it? Does he seize the chance to play big in big events? I'd like to see at least one more victory this season, a top 10 in a major and a good showing in Valhalla. I think he has that in him.
  9. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Adam Scott and Baddeley were going to be the young guys to challenge Tiger before. Both have won several titles, but it's the majors, obviously, that matter. The SI story on Kim a few weeks ago made him seem not-so-humble, but he seems like a fun guy to follow.
  10. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Active Member

I would hardly call him an "average" player. The guy has won twice in one year on the world's best tour and he's only 23. Who else has won twice this year? Outside of Tiger, Mickelson and Kenny Perry, I can't think of anybody although I'm sure I'm missing somebody. Kostis and Faldo were raving about how great Kim's swing is and it sounds like he's got the mental game to go with it. This guy will be a star but it's not fair to compare anyone to Tiger.
  11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

TwoGloves ... those are the four. Tiger's won four times, the other three twice. And I don't think anyone is comparing him to Tiger, rather wondering if he's just the chutzpah to really challenge him.
  12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Kim has talent but more importantly he's used it to finish with 2 wins this year already. Being a multiple winner is no easy task, whether Tiger is in the field or not. To do this at 23 is impressive. Here's hoping he can make a good showing at either Royal Birkdale or Valhalla.

Tiger's greatness has been his ability to live up to and even exceed the expectations. Can Kim or anyone else do that?
Draft saved Draft deleted