1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anthony Davis: What's his ceiling?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bigpern23, Apr 3, 2012.

?

How good will Anthony Davis be in the NBA?

1. Bust

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  2. All-Star (2-3 appearances)

8 vote(s)
    27.6%
  3. Perennial All-Star

15 vote(s)
    51.7%
  4. Top 10 player

3 vote(s)
    10.3%
  5. Hall of Famer

1 vote(s)
    3.4%
  1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'd like to see a list of the players who went pro straight out of high school since 1995-96. For every Kobe, Garnett, Dwight Howard and LeBron, there are tons of guys who never did were drafted or became huge disappointments, who might have benefited from a year or two in college.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Maybe it will be as successful as when Maurice Clarett sued the NFL.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You mean like a huge portion of kids who went to school? Regardless whether it is good for them or not is not the point.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

How many of them would have benefited and how many would have been exposed and never made the money they did if they spent a year in college?

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

This is crazy. They benefit from the "real pressure" of playing in front of "passionate crowds"? Pressure that the NBA experience "cannot duplicate"?

Yes, I'm sure that the experience of absolutely owning pressure cooker metropolises like Syracuse, N.Y., or Chapel Hill, N.C., or Lawrence, Kan., generates pressure that a man making millions of dollars to produce in New York City or Philadelphia or Chicago or Houston could never relate to.

6. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Exactly, even if some of them flame out horribly, that shouldn't be a decision that David Stern gets to make for them.

7. Dick Whitman

Name some high school players who came out and made the wrong choice.

Leon Smith comes to mind. Who else? Not all that many.

8. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Here's the list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_high_school_draftees#List. There really aren't many where they just completely bombed and amounted to nothing.

9. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Taj McDavid.

10. Dick Whitman

I would be curious to know what Leon Smith, who according to Wikipedia has not played basketball professionally since 2007, is doing now. Curious and worried.

11. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Ah, good old Ndudi Ebi, a highlight of McHale's GM reign. The guys taken right after him: Kendrick Perkins, Barbosa, Josh Howard.

To pern's point about players being exposed, I'd like to think Kwame Brown would not have been the top draft pick if he had played some college ball, since most scouts and GMs would be hesitant to draft a big man who is unable to catch a pass. Then again, knowing his skills as a talent evaluator, if Jordan was still the one holding that pick, he'd still take Kwame.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I've got to assume the few who do leave early and flame out horribly would not have become valedictorians had they stayed in school.

Draft saved Draft deleted