1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anthony Davis: What's his ceiling?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bigpern23, Apr 3, 2012.

?

How good will Anthony Davis be in the NBA?

1. Bust

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  2. All-Star (2-3 appearances)

8 vote(s)
    27.6%
  3. Perennial All-Star

15 vote(s)
    51.7%
  4. Top 10 player

3 vote(s)
    10.3%
  5. Hall of Famer

1 vote(s)
    3.4%
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Why are we starting from the premise that college coaches are better teachers than NBA coaches?

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

and how would he get that in college?

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Fundamentals Dick, fundamentals.

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

John Calipari can win big at the college level because he can acquire the talent that makes his team better than 90 percent of his competition before the first ball is tossed.

John Calipari is shit as an NBA coach because it's impossible to do the same, year after year. Though, of course, there are many other reasons.

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

It's not that staying four years makes you a better or worse pro, necessarily. It's that each time you move up a level of competition, you have to adjust to that level, including the idea that more people are as good as you are. The early entries that flopped in the NBA weren't necessarily less talented. In many cases, they had no idea how to make that adjustment.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Competition and coaching aside, in three years you have missed out on at least 120-130 games of experience.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

We aren't. I asked the question about the quality of coaching upthread.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

For the most part, if you are a four year guy it is because you aren't good enough for the NBA.

9. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

We need an all-star game:

Four-year team:
    Russell
    Kareem
    Bird
    Duncan
    West

An abundance of big guys there. Maybe Oscar for Duncan, make TD best sixth man in history.

Early:
    Jordan
    Magic
    Wilt (didn't really come out straight of Kansas but didn't stay either)
    Kobe
    Shaq

Maybe Hakeem off the bench. Shaq and Wilt on court at same time? Probably doesn't work real well. Moses, LeBron, KG off bench as well.

Now, have that game and limit it to guys who have played since, say, 1990 and it will be an ugly rout for the early-birds.

Clarence Gaines Jr. - a longtime scout, son of Big House - has a piece comparing Davis to guys like Camby/Duncan/KG, etc.

http://cgscoutperspective.blogspot.com/2012/04/who-is-anthony-davis-camby-duncan.html

One thing I'd disagree from earlier in the thread is the idea that a big guy can't be a franchise-changer anymore or that Duncan was the last. I still think a big guy, a dominant big guy, can make the difference between an also-ran and a great team. And Howard is the perfect example of it. His theatrics this year were ridiculous and he still has a limited offensive game, but he also led the 2009 Magic to the Finals - Hedo was their second-best player for God's sake. And even this year they could make a run to the Finals, because of his dominance in the paint and defensively. The fact Jordan was better than Bowie and Durant was better than Oden doesn't change the idea big guys can still rule. It's just that if you have otherwordly talents like Jordan and Durant, you shouldn't automatically draft a center.

I also think coaching at the NBA level is light years ahead of the college game. There's more advanced offenses, defenses, scouting, everything. Whether that translates to a one-on-one basis with individual players and helping them learn the game, I don't know, but I think it would.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

He'd be coached. By educators. One presumes the academic setting encourages teaching, after all.

At least that's what the brochures say.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The two being Duncan and ... Kenyon Martin?

Grant Hill
    Steve Nash
    Alonzo Mourning
    Eddie Jones (don't laugh, he made three All-Star teams)
    Jeremy Lin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK I give up. Less than great, but still able, were Emeka Okafor and Shane Battier.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Plus there's the matter of age when franchises make their evaluations. We just saw "Fausto Carmona" as the latest Latin player revealed to be older than previously believed. Why do athletes do that? Because there's more potential in a 19-year-old than in a 22-year-old.

I believe it has been cited here that this is an amazingly large contributing factor -- as in, baseball prospects who graduate high school at age 17 work out in much larger proportions than those who graduate high school at age 18.

Draft saved Draft deleted