1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anthony Davis: What's his ceiling?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bigpern23, Apr 3, 2012.

?

How good will Anthony Davis be in the NBA?

1. Bust

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  2. All-Star (2-3 appearances)

8 vote(s)
    27.6%
  3. Perennial All-Star

15 vote(s)
    51.7%
  4. Top 10 player

3 vote(s)
    10.3%
  5. Hall of Famer

1 vote(s)
    3.4%
  1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Call me crazy but I don't see it yet. Emphasis on yet because who really thought Kyrie Irving would be this good this soon? Camby is an interesting comparison. I don't see him being as good as Garnett or Duncan but how many are?

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Depends entirely upon how much actual coaching he'll get in the NBA.

3. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Playing against the best players in the world and learning from them, I'm going to guess, will allow him to improve more than staying in school and dominating would.

4. Mizzougrad96

He kind of reminds me more of Bosh than he does Garnett. That's far from being a bad thing.

5. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

The thing with Davis is that, even if he doesn't get any better (and there's no reason to assume he wont considering he's grown almost a foot in the past few years, he's young, and seems to have the frame/work ethic to add some weight), what he gives you is a defineable and rare (in this day) skillset.

He will block 2-3 shots every game (without getting himself into foul trouble, blocked 4.6 shots per game this year while only averaging 1.9 PF's...helps having a 7'4" wingspan), he should be able to grab 8-10 boards every night, he's a 70%+ free throw shooter, and rarely turns the ball over (0.9 TO's). Worst case scenario he's a slightly better version of Serge Ibaka, but his best case scenario could be in that Dwight Howard range...who knows.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I'm not sure which model is the more efficient. Be interesting to compare outcomes.

Who was the best player ever to come out early? Who was the best player ever to play all four years?

7. Mizzougrad96

Who was the last No. 1 to stay all four years?

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I think that question has been settled pretty decisively with everyone from Garnett and Kobe to Derrick Rose. There are a lot of pretenders who shouldn't have come out early and that muddies the issue, but most of those guys weren't going to be strong pros with 2-3 more years of training in chest passes and zone defense either.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Not looking, but was it Kenyon Martin?

10. Mizzougrad96

Unless I missed one I see two players since 1990 who stayed all four years. Wow.

11. Mizzougrad96

I was thinking Duncan but I might be wrong.

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The idea that Davis would learn more with another year in Kentucky than he would competing against the best players in the world night after night in games, and day after day in practices, is preposterous.

Draft saved Draft deleted