1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Antelope Valley Press Sports Editor

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Claws for Concern, Jun 15, 2006.

1. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Birdscribe = JetHawks writer
    [Let's call that an educated assumption. That's the only way one person could know so much about a desert outpost.]

2. Actually, Birdscribe = stand-up guy who used to work at this paper for a long time, now does golf PR, but is still obviously well connected to what is happening at his old stomping grounds.

3. fishwrapper

I gave it a whirl. I stand corrected.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Birdscribe is definitely well connected with the inner workings of that paper knows that area extremely well. It would be wise to listen to him, pick his brain if you're interested in working at this place.

5. fishwrapper

Um, no thanks.

6. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

And while I used to do more than my share of JetHawks stories (including breaking the story on their move to the AV), let me correct you on another element about this "desert outpost."

This "desert outpost" you refer to is home to more than 400,000 people, including the fastest growing city in California. That's not only a population larger than that of St. Louis, but probably a great deal of the cities that a large portion of the SportsJournalists.com community calls home.

7. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Outing alert: Birdscribe is head of the Antelope Valley Chamber of Commerce.

8. fishwrapper

Windy City=Chicago Lancaster, 365 days a year.

9. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

THAT, you got right.

10. Kable

Kable Member

I think I applied for their sports writer position. I would love to live in L.A. Went there for Christmas, and had a great time. Just the bad thing is that in CA, you need $texas to survive. 8)

11. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Funny, but we don't need that. Not the way they're building up here.

I also left out the five shootings we had here last week. That's 35 for the year, if you're scoring at home.

12. Kable

Kable Member

Still, I wouldn't mind coming if it meant stability.

Draft saved Draft deleted