1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Antelope Valley Press Sports Editor

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Claws for Concern, Jun 15, 2006.

1. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Just saw this posted within the last hour ...

www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=649775

2. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Birdscribe .... paging Mr. Birdscribe ....

3. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

how big are they? 30,000 circulation?

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Covered a CIF playoff football game in the Antelope Valley in 1990, Long Beach Wilson vs. Quartz Hill.

It's a haul from Long Beach.

5. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

??? ??? ??? Whoa...... I've got to investigate this one.

John Purcell, the SE for the last six years, has a son who is in the same class as my daughter. Honestly, I didn't see this one coming.

More details when I get them.

6. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

A little more than that, but they have the hardest-working man in journalism -- three-time, APSE award-winning columnist Brian Golden -- who covers the LA teams.

Honestly, you could do a lot worse than this place -- even though it's not what it used to be in the 80s and 90s

7. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

OK, here are the details as I know them from one of my sources at the paper...

John Purcell gave his notice last week -- to go to cooking school. I'll repeat that for those of you doing the Jon Stewart disbelieving eye-rub. John Purcell gave his notice to go to cooking school.

My source didn't know if ASE Scott Kaniewski was going to apply for John's gig. The fact the job was posted on JJobs leads him to believe no.

I'll know more later, but this should sate the curiosity for now.

8. Editude

Editude Active Member

Shaky area, expensive and, despite Purcell's best efforts in sports, the paper is a mess. Good luck to John, a nice guy in the business.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

And as we've noted about all SoCal papers on this board ... none of them are.

10. WSKY

WSKY Member

Their Web site looks like it was put together by a bunch of hillbillies.

www.avpress.com

11. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

It's been noted before that their website is the worst newspaper website on Planet Earth. None of this is the fault of sports, rather the fault of a publisher who doesn't "get" the Internet and doesn't understand why he should put his news out there for free.

As for Editude's comments, yes, the area (like all of SoCal) is getting more expensive by the day. Don't know what he means by "shaky"; I've lived there for 13 years and there are worse places (see Victorville) in SoCal.

He's right about the paper. It is a mess, despite some pretty good people working there.

12. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

You could live in a lot more expensive places in SoCal than the AV.

Draft saved Draft deleted