1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Answer me this, Oakland A's fans...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Corky Ramirez up on 94th St., Jun 6, 2007.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I went to A's games when I was a kid in the late 70s with 2300 of my closest friends. It was actually pretty cool, you could sit wherever you wanted, there was a DixieLand band that strolled throught the stands, the players would talk to you, the security guards and regulars knew who you were, you could sit wherever you wanted to and from the third deck pre-Mt. Davis you had a great view of the hills and could get a great sun tan. When the A's hired Billy Martin and got good it all went to hell. Everyone got on the bandwagon, they started doing "the wave", introduced "nachos" and "DiamondVision" not to mention pre-recorded music. The security guards started searching bags for smuggled in beers and people became more interested in "dot-racing" than the game on the field.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

This sounds exactly like what happened in Seattle in the late '80s and early '90s. Except I never rooted for the home team.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

so, all 11 A's fans all made their voices heard on this thread? i'd think the odds would be against it happening in my lifetime.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

It's kind of like trying to find a Seahaks fan before Super Bowl XL.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you mean the super bowl they won?

6. 93Devil

Yeah, nothing like a storied, history-rich franchise like the Seahawks crying about the Super Bowl.

They had so much experience playing it in the past, I heard the league was thinking about renaming the Lombardi Trophy the Zorn Trophy.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i'm not a seahawks fan douchebag. i just know what i saw.

and one bullshit super bowl win since '79 hardly is anything to talk shit about fanboy.

8. 93Devil

hahahahahaha

I didn't think you were a Seahawks fan. I guess I forgot to hit the sarcasm key.

You know, when I watched that game, I was mad because I knew the "Steelers didn't win the game" argument was going to come up. I just know the Seahawks didn't win that game either. The Steelers just made a couple of big plays and that was the difference.

I have no problem being called a fanboy when it comes to the Pittsburgh teams.

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Someone just mentioned some low attendance figures, and then someone else chimed in about the shitty stadium the A's have played in for years. But haven't we reached the point that we all know that stadiums really don't have much to do with attendance?

No one goes to games for instance, in DC which has a shit stadium, or in Pittsburgh or at least in the past, in Milwaukee which have two great stadiums, because the teams sucked. If you have a good team you'll draw. If your team sucks, you'll draw for a year with the new stadium and then you won't draw shit again. Fans go to see winning baseball, not fantastic stadiums.

10. 93Devil

http://mlb.mlb.com/pit/history/year_by_year_results.jsp?sortByStat=SEASON&

Sure, the Pirates are not in the top, but they are drawing more. They are coming in at about 1.8 mil a year. If Three Rivers was still around that number would be about 1.0 mil. That is 800,000 more seats sold a season at about $25 a seat. That's $20 million, and it is not counting consessions or local business revenue. It cost $200 mil to build the thing, so I'm guessing it has already paid for itself.

Even though the team has not had a winning season for over a decade.

But, you are right; winning does fill the seats.

11. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Every time.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's not a new stadium that helps teams- its more luxury boxes and more cash coming in that helps teams become more competitive.
    Did you see they imploded the 20-year-old Charlotte Coliseum last week? Not enough lux boxes so the Hornets moved to NO. You KNOW you are old when they are destroying stadiums that are younger than you.

Draft saved Draft deleted