1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Answer me this, Oakland A's fans...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Corky Ramirez up on 94th St., Jun 6, 2007.

1. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

Watching the Red Sox game, Jack Cust hits a double into right field and I notice a jersey on the right field wall. It reads 'Haas'.

Is this Moose Haas, the A's pitcher in the 1980s? Why in the world is his jersey retired? It didn't say 'Hunter,' as I first thought.

2. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Moose Haas will always be the Brewers' pitcher from the 80s... ;)

3. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

It's for the late Walter Haas, a former A's owner.

4. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Ah. Thanks.

And I remember Moose as a Brewers pitcher too, T_B! But he did pitch for the A's in the late 80s, that's why I was a little confused.

5. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

No, you're all good...just the Brewers' fanboy in me gasping for air :)

6. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

I think I'd really question if I saw a 'Riles' jersey hanging on the wall, though!

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

How about Dave Parker?

8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Aren't you assuming a fair amount in addressing something to Oakland A's fans? I didn't know they existed.

9. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Point of note, Mule Haas was an outfielder. Sorry, I know I didn't have to point that out ... but I'm just weird that way.

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Good point. When I saw the Yankees-Athletics in the 2006 season opener, it was rather appalling that: 1. The game wasn't sold out; 2. There were more Yankees fans than Athletics fans.

11. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

I suppose it's no surprise that five years after the A's won the World Series in 1974, fewer than 1,000 attended a game.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I don't suppose it helps that they play in a football stadium, though the games I went to were right after they put tarps up over the upper bowl seats. It made it seem slightly more like a baseball stadium. Slightly.

Draft saved Draft deleted