1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anschutz buys the Oklahoman

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JRoyal, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

That's part of Gaylord Entertainment Company, a publically-traded (not family-owned) company.

2. Re: Oklahoman parent company on the move

At first I wondered why Anschutz, who has no background in newspapers nor has ever lived in Oklahoma, would be interested in the Oklahoman.

Then I checked out his political/religious views. Then it all made sense, given the conservative history of the paper.

This could be good news for the Oklahoman folks, though, as long as he doesn't go all nutso on them.

EDIT: Just realized there's already another thread on this. And he also has dabbled in newspapers in the past.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Re: Oklahoman parent company on the move

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/86046/

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Re: Oklahoman parent company on the move

And, in an uncharacteristically snarky aside from me, it's right below this one.

5. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Threads merged. Carry on.

6. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

If it's true that Anschutz was looking to get the Broadmoor, I hope that doesn't mean he's going to sell off the Oklahoman to a chain. It may have been conservative, but it was nice living in a state where the two largest papers were family-owned and didn't have to deal with all the chain crap.

7. chase.colston

chase.colston Member

The scariest part for me would be that this guy owns the Examiners in D.C. and San Francisco. Other than that, I don't know how much I'd worry at this point. After the first of the year, that may be a different story. But who knows?

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

In his defense, he plowed significant money into both papers when he first bought them. Both had been cut significantly before those purchases.

9. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

I didn't realize Anschutz was a media guy. I just thought of him as a sports/family films mogul. He also bankrolls something called the Institute for American Values which opposes not only gay marriage but single parents as well. That could be an awkward revelation for some of his new staffers.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

And he forks over money for stadiums. Staples Center. Sprint Center. The huge backer of Farmers Field.

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I think he made his money off one of the Baby Bells or somewhere in telecom.

12. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Okay... thanks for the clarification!

Draft saved Draft deleted