1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another Yahoo hire?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Apr 25, 2007.

1. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Which paper?

2. RayKinsella

RayKinsella Member

They are getting their money worth in his first week. 18 stories in six days. Granted it was the biggest boxing weekend in recent history, I will be interested to see what he does now that the sportsworld has moved on from boxing for a little while.

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/expertsarchive?author=Kevin+Iole

3. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

Guess:

A college football writer from a big paper in the south, who either

a) put his buddy from the beat at another paper to start this thread
    b) posted it himself in order to leverage some more cash at his current gig

4. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

If Yahoo would add some serviceable support for Mac, I might go to the place once in a blue moon. I met my wife through Yahoo! Chat 10 years ago. They didn't support Mac then, and they don't support Mac now. Needless to say, I don't go to Yahoo for anything other than my fantasy team.

I have to wonder, though, what is on the horizon. Will Microsoft buy the network and add its own version of sports on TV?

5. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

The Yahoo News search function doesn't even link to stories on Yahoo Sports. Or at least it didn't for me a few weeks ago when I was doing some research, entered my search term on Yahoo news and wasn't given a link to the main story on Yahoo Sports. They might want to get their internal operations in order over there...

6. fishwrapper

I know most of these Yahoo connections, and I'm still not getting it.
    Perhap I'm just missing this one...

7. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

Yahoo has broken some big stories, the last two of which were the Reggie Bush scandal and Billy Donovan/Memphis job talk.

8. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

No shit. Maybe he wants a good severance package.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Paging blondebomber, is right . . .

10. leo1

leo1 Active Member

dude, it's a good thing you're already married

11. fishwrapper

That is very funny.
    I read right over it. Which, might say something about me, too.

12. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

I gave my opinion earlier.

As for Iole's first week on the job at Yahoo ... It was a lot like his work at the R-J: Remarkable in volume and totally pedestrian. You can see the Yahoo desk isn't going to catch the elementary grammar and spelling fuckups our editors saw on a daily basis. Really basic shit. Looks like whatever he writes gets posted without a good read.

But what has stood out to me ... Iole was on the scene of Diego Corrales' fatal motorcycle accident and still got his ass handed to him by the L.A. Times, who did it all by phone.

Draft saved Draft deleted