1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another Yahoo hire?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Iole is the guy my source meant.
    Apparently, a HUGE chunk of money compared to what he was making.

2. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

He was doing golf... and boxing... and a fantasy sports column... and....

I'm sure the $$$ beat the bejesus out of what he was making at the RJ, which -- if it was smart -- would hire former LV Sun golf/Arena football writer Adam Candee posthaste.

3. You are spot on about Adam.

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Thanks for stopping by . . .dude who was on Jeopardy! and thus cannot possibly be Adam Candee.

5. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

You are correct...

Read your PM.

6. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

Yahoo Sports is hiring the best writers they can find in specific areas. As we all know online sports networks or portals like Yahoo, AOL, MSN are all giving there best coverage to compete with such sports powerhouses as ESPN, SI, SN etc.

According to Alexa.com yahoo is the number one most popular site on the web.
    http://www.alexa.com/site/ds/top_sites?cc=US&ts_mode=country&lang=none

FoxSports.com is number 59.

ESPN, SI, SN are not even on the list of the top 100 most popular sites on the web.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I can imagine.

8. bp6316

bp6316 Member

Remember, the whole point in Yahoo! hiring Dave Morgan was to try to make Yahoo! Sports a player on the national sports Web site map. They had done quite well with establishing Yahoo! News, but struggled with sports. Since Morgan came on, they've done nothing but grow and they have become a "destination" site. Sure, they feed off the fact that many people are there for searching on Yahoo or for fantasy sports, but many, many people are going directly there.

According to the Center for Media Research ( http://publications.mediapost.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=Articles.showArticle&art_aid=54589 ), as of Jan. 2006, ESPN.com was still No. 1, followed by Yahoo! Sports and Fox Sports. From what I've read, those numbers haven't changed a ton in the last year (I'm having trouble tracking down any more recent numbers though).

In the end, Internet numbers are always subjective because different ratings mean totally different things, but the moral of the story is that Yahoo pulled off a coup in getting Morgan and have proved it was worth it. They are a destination source now.

9. lsufan1

lsufan1 New Member

Anyone hearing about another Yahoo hire? This one, an editor brought in last week :eek:

10. jimnorden

jimnorden Member

Seems like - along with morgan - yahoo has some cash to spend, which is always nice to see.

11. somewriter

somewriter Member

Yahoo's primary business is advertising from searches, not sports content. If you look at that Alexa link, sports is the 15th most-popular area on their site, accounting for 1% of their page views. And only 22% of their users are from the U.S. - so it's not surprising that they are the No. 1 site on the web. Only it has nothing to do with sports. They'd probably still be No. 1 if they didn't drop all that money on writers. With their fantasy games, they'll always be one of the top sports sites. And I still don't understand hiring a boxing writer, given that sport's lack of popularity.

12. jimnorden

jimnorden Member

I'm guessing he'll head up their mma coverage.

Draft saved Draft deleted