1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another Worthless Sports Reporters Panel (12/10) . . .

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Ben_Hecht, Dec 10, 2006.

1. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

I like it when it's all "Brothers"

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I like "Brothers and Sisters." I'm taping it at home now.

3. i did the show with dick schaap for a year. i have a great deal of respect for dick schaap. the guy was very good to me. i know a bit more about this show than a few of you on this board. just my opinion.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

racist fucking statement, doubebag.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Cause if we didnt like to bitch, this board might as well be quiltingjournalists.com

6. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

The late Mr. Schaap, an esteemed journalist who did much great work in his career, was not the original host of the show and bears much of the responsibility for turning this into the show that it is: a country club for guys to earn an extra check, not an interesting exchange of ideas.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I have no idea why there's so much bitching and moaning about this show. It hasn't been anything more relevant than a vapid shout-fest for several years now. Why even watch it?

And as much as no one wants to speak ill of the respected dead, it was that way for many of the Schaap years too.

8. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Mr W,

I won't go ad hominem here. I usually agree with you on more things than not. This, though, is a not. Lupica and the producer determine "who is on the show and what is talked about on the show" as you say. But to say that the host is immaterial is--your words--straight comedy. The host sets the table--how subjects will be talked about. I think Jeremy S would be more likely to challenge the panelists and to call bullshit on them. John Saunders is, well, a little too clubby for that. I think that Jeremy S would create some necessary tension. He'd also give it a higher news-issues quotient. I don't think that the show needs just to change hosts, mind you--it would be nice if those guys in the studio were supplemented by a throw to a guy in the field or a beat guy or a reporter who broke a story--maybe that would be the middle piece.

YHS, etc

9. I used to watch the show every week. I would get aggravated with Schaap's constant name-dropping and Bob Ryan's stammering, but I enjoyed the show.

I've probably seen it twice in the last five years, and it has been awful.

10. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

DAMMIT! He said he wasn't going to tell anyone...

11. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Well then, start acting like it.

12. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

Friend of the Friendless has it wrong when he said that, "I think the original host's son would give the show a transfusion of substance. I think a generational shift would be good too."

Anymore, these guys who are commentators or analysts just want to hear themselves pontificate.

And the next generation, Jeremy Schaap included, would do nothing but bore us to death.

Anybody agree? Disagree?

Draft saved Draft deleted