1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another Virginia Tech tragedy: student murdered

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jan 22, 2009.

1. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

Fear can be a very powerful factor in motivation, or lack thereof.

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

That's not a knife.

[​IMG]

That's a knife.

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

They aren't that big where I come from, J.

(I know, that's what she said, etc.)

4. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I think your argument loses even more steam if you're saying that these supposed cowards wouldn't have even saved the guy's life. So they were supposed to risk their lives and take on a lunatic with a knife because of what the guy did to a corpse?

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

What ... the ... FUCK... is happening in Blacksburg?

BLACKSBURG, Va. — Two Virginia Tech University students were found slain Thursday at a Jefferson National Forest campground that is a popular hangout for students, authorities said.

The latest killings are hitting a campus still reeling from the worst mass shooting in modern U.S. history and the beheading of a student earlier this year.

The bodies of David Lee Metzler, 19, of Lynchburg and Heidi Lynn Childs, 18, of Forest were found by a passerby, Montgomery County Sheriff Lt. Brian Wright said. Both appear to have been shot, he said. Wright said Metzler's body was found inside a car in the parking area of the Caldwell Fields campground and Childs was found outside the car. The campground is about 15 miles from Virginia Tech's campus in Blacksburg.

A suspect has not been identified and autopsies were being conducted in Roanoke.

6. hacksaw2828

hacksaw2828 Member

If I was a parent, I would seriously ask my son or daughter to look for other options besides Tech. Nothing against the school. But the security and incidents up there just seems to get odder and odder. Or maybe these incidents are just more well publicized now because it's Tech and because of what happened there. In fairness, that area of the state seems to have issues from Danville westward.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I'm as critical of Tech as anyone, but you cannot link this to the school.

How close is this to the Appalachain Trail? I would think that would bring a lot of non-local people to this area who could be a little nuts.

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I don't think this incident has anything to do with Tech. It happened in Jefferson National Forest. Does that mean you avoid all national parks now?

I didn't go to Tech, but some friends of mine did and I've been there plenty of times to the point that I knew my way around Blacksburg. I never felt unsafe when I was there back in the day, even when I was being an obnoxious 23-year-old drunk and asking for it. The place ain't unsafe in the least.

Draft saved Draft deleted