1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another Virginia Tech tragedy: student murdered

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jan 22, 2009.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I heard on a local newscast that there were seven people in the Au Bon Pain when this happened.

That is not exactly a ton of people.

2. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

At the school, I understand the rationale for not wanting to get involved. The 2007 tragedy is still fresh in students' minds and, really, the police got there in like a minute.

The bus though? There had to be like 50 people on it. You telling me they couldn't have rushed him? They may not have saved the life of the victim, but they wouldn't have allowed him an hour of playtime with the corpse either.

3. markvid

markvid Guest

He had a huge knife...I wouldn't get near that either.

4. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

What the fuck is wrong with some people? Who fucking decapitates someone in a coffee shop?

That really sucks for all the VT kids, too. My cousin goes there, and I love that stunningly beautiful campus.

5. KG

KG Active Member

If I have no weapon, I'm not going to tackle a man with a big hunting knife. I wouldn't stand a chance.

6. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Shouldn't there be knives, pots, pans, tables or chairs the place that could have been thrown at the guy.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

By the way, schiezanic and any other machismo hero-wannabes, this is why you take precaution in getting involved with an armed suspect. This is not some damn video game:

http://www.boston.com/news/world/europe/articles/2009/01/23/stabbings_at_child_center_kill_2_kids_1_adult/

8. markvid

markvid Guest

Sorry, buck..kids are involved, then i do too. Especially if they are in my care.
    Yours isn't the best comparison.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I'm not saying don't ever get involved. I'm saying check your misguided bravado at the door, unless you're absolutely positive you can subdue the attacker. Makes no difference if it's kids or not. That worker is dead, too.

10. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Sorry -- if it involves kids, then I'm not sure I could live with myself if I didn't at least try to get involved.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Look, all I'm saying is, don't be stupid about it. Call for help. Scream. Find a weapon. Do it in numbers ... anything that gives you a chance against an armed suspect.

Bum-rushing an attacker with a knife who caught you by surprise because you "couldn't live with yourself" is idiotic machismo that's better suited for G.I. Joe or schiezanic. You're not helping those kids, you're not helping yourself, you're not helping anybody.

And more often than not, you're the one who ends up dead.

It's just not that simple.

12. markvid

markvid Guest

Buck, you are comparing something that happened in a cafe vs people whose job it is to be responsible to those kids.

Draft saved Draft deleted