1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another Virginia Tech tragedy: student murdered

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Not necessarily.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Reading into it, which I know is always dangerous, it says they knew each other. The police know that because of their emergency contact information. So apparently, if I'm reading that right, at least one of them listed the other as their emergency contact.

Boyfriend/girlfriend? Exes? Relatives? They had to know each other before school if one was listed on the other's emergency contact form.

Am I reading that wrong?

3. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

That's what I took from it.

4. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Bad day for China -- gloomy economic forecast, and news about citizens abroad the party can't control.

5. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Actually, I thought there was some suicide jumpers that used the observation deck in the 70s and then it was closed until just a few years ago. I may be wrong on that.

The point I was trying to convey was that tragedies happen everywhere. They happen at colleges, factories, office towers and restaurants. Eventually, though, life returns to normal or as close to normal as possible.

We may remember the event, but we also remember to live.

6. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Sounds very similar to that bus incident in Canada where a passenger decapitated another while others ran out of the bus screaming.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

That's exactly what I was thinking. Cue scheizanic with his machismo ... ::)

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Wasn't that guy using a huge-ass sword though? I'd run from that.

9. I Digress

I Digress Guest

The hed I saw on a story was so confusing. Until I read the story, I thought "Virginia tech slaying victim' was referencing someone who had been shot the last time and got decapitated today. Which I guess just goes to show the other wasn't all that long ago.

10. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

It was a hunting knife. Weird thing though, that guy was originally from China too.

11. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

They don't have to have known each other before hand.

Apparently, she had no other family or friends here and had just began meeting new people on campus. And while him being an emergency contact is a little weird, I can understand why the school might allow something like that.

12. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Machismo? All I said was that I found it odd that the dude had all day to cut that guy's head off. Nobody on that bus said a single word. I found it cowardly that a whole bus full of people could care less about a stranger and would allow something like this to happen.

As I said there, though, until I'm in that situation I don't know how I'd respond. I'd like to think I wouldn't run from the bus and start sprinting down the street because, hey, it's not my head.

In this situation, it's the same thing.

I guess I'm just delusional to think that someone, anyone really, would be willing to help someone who obviously can't help themselves.

Before I go off on a rant, however, let me wrap it up and say that there are heroes and there are cowards. Pilot of recent airplane crash? Hero. He didn't go "Oh, shit the plane is falling. Well, fuck all ya'll. EJECT". He did his best to save lives. Athlete who helped subdue psycho on plane a couple weeks ago? Hero.

Seems there's too few of those, however.

Draft saved Draft deleted