1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another Top 25 voter (USC beat writer) ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Claws for Concern, Oct 30, 2006.

1. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Scott Wolf, who covers USC for the Los Angeles Daily News, releases his Top 25 ballot each week on his blog.

Here's the link ... Two spoilers ... he has West Virginia No. 1 and USC isn't in his top 10.

http://www.insidesocal.com/usc/archives/2006/10/the_top_25_7.html#more

2. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

West Virginia ain't got nothin' on Rutgers.

3. 85bears

85bears Member

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's subjective.

I remember in 1999 there was a lone voter who voted Virginia Tech for the entire season. Everybody thought he was a moron. Then, they played for the national title...

The truth of the matter is, West Virginia probably has as good a chance as anyone to play for the national title. Getting past Louisville is easier than beating Michigan or Ohio State...

Do I think WVU is the best team in the country? No, but I'd probably rank them third or fourth, so I can't imagine why anyone would call this guy out for putting them a few spots higher.

As far as USC is concerned, there's a lot of one loss teams out there and I would have a hard time ranking a team too high after losing to Oregon State. At least Auburn, Tennessee, Florida and California all lost to top teams...

5. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

It's the old cliche: You have to beat the best in order to be the best.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but West Virginia hasn't played a ranked opponent, yet.

Those other teams in the Top 5 have knocked off teams of substance and rank and deserve their respective rankings.

Is West Virginia No. 1? No.
    Is West Virgina, say, No. 6, 7 or 8? You bet.

6. 85bears

85bears Member

So did Notre Dame, but idle Cal still jumped them this week. Odd.

Also - Rutgers deserves to be in the discussion until they get beat. By the way, remarkable performance by the UConn running back against that defense last night.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Winning has to mean more than losing. It certainly has to mean more than someone's OPINION on the merits of a schedule.
    Why worry? There are three undefeated teams in the Big East, none of whom, of course, have played each other yet.
    If any one of them finishes the season undefeated, they'll probably play the winner of Ohio State-Michigan for the title.
    If none do, one of the countless one-loss teams that aren't from the Big East will do so. Whoever it is will spark the biggest, loudest BCS argument yet.

8. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Any likely lose - by a lot.

9. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

So, are you a Wolverines or Buckeyes fan?

10. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

If I have to choose: Michigan. But I'm more of an Ohio St. hater.

But that's beside the point, team for team the Big 10 is better than the Big East. Schedule for schedule both Michigan and Ohio St. played tougher teams.

That's the joke in all this BCS stuff (and voting for that matter). Just because you're undefeated, it doesn't mean you're good. Not enough things are taken seriously into account.

11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Team for team? Wanna take the Big 10 worst (Northwestern, who lost to a division i-aa team) agaist the Big East's worst (who you watched last night against Rutgers)? If anything, the Big East and Big 10 are parallel. Two top notch teams and a very good team followed by a whole helluva lot of mediocrity.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

This is reason No. 4,509 that the BCS fucking sucks...

Draft saved Draft deleted