1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another to 10,000

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Sam Mills 51, Nov 27, 2008.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Folks,

I dunno what to say, except that's a lot of posts. There might be one or two decent ones somewhere, the rest ... wellllllll ...

To the folks who have been supportive, kind and more: Thank you. The last 20 months or so have been the most trying of my life. My post total has soared, my complaining has spiked, my patience is so far beyond gone that there's no finding it again, my outlook on life has soured more than I care to admit and still many of you have been there. It means more than you'll ever know.

The support has come from those I've never met and a few of you which I have. I got back in the biz thanks to a poster who I've never met in person who was in a position to help, been encouraged by some who would shock many of you and met a lot of great people who can put up with my weird habits, philosophies and reasons for doing things that usually make no sense to most.

The Toronto outing was a blast I won't soon forget. A great atmosphere, unbeatable hosts, my first MLB games in person and plenty of people who weren't sure who I was or if I would be tolerable in polite society. You mean the jersey wasn't a dead giveaway? I'm talking about Friday ... the Ron Francis sweater on Saturday was hot given it was almost 100 degrees. And the people at the Hockey Hall of Fame found out some lunatics really exist well south of Ontario - they actually embraced it. Lucky me - again.

I wanted to make the other outings, but work got in the way for one and a visit by good friends and an inability to leave town contributed to the other. My apologies for not making those outings - and to anyone who doesn't believe it or has never been to an outing: Go if you can do it in terms of time and finances. You won't meet a better group of people and there's no such thing as not fitting in. If I can, there's hope for everyone else.

I changed my handle due to the saddest event since Walter Payton's untimely death, tried to change my handle back and was asked by people who care "Why change it back?" So there the tribute stays ... and it's appropriate given the man and my jersey collection (Yes, I already know I'll never grow up. I've long accepted this).

I found this board more than five years ago through sheer dumb luck. It was bookmarked on a work terminal there, and I thought, "Hey, this looks pretty interesting." And here we are - 10,000 posts later.

I have no idea what my future brings and where I'll be. But it's likely to include the happenings on this board if I'm still welcome. As might be appropriate on Thanksgiving, thanks for allowing me this silly self-indulgent fluff and thanks to every one of you.

Take care,
    SM51

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

We're all better for knowing you, Sam.

I know I am.

Congrats, I guess, on 10K? :D

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

BYH giggles at your feat on the day he broke 40K...

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yeah really. Sam is one-quarter the poster I am.

Which means he's four times the man I am.

If this board had more Sams, there'd be nothing to complain about. Hope the next 10,000 posts bring better fortune for you, Sam...

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And Sam... your future is here with us -- like it or not. And for that, we're grateful

6. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Sam, I'm tossing back a beer (or two) in your honor tonight.

7. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

I second this.

Kudos, Sam, on hitting 10,000. It's been great to have you around.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

It's just one post closer to 20,000, sir. Keep climbing.

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

This place, and the world, would be a much better place if we had more people like you, Sam.

Congrats on the milestone, good sir.

10. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

Cheers to the best auto-mechanic on SportsJournalists.com and an All-American stand-up guy.

Thanks for the laughs, the advice and chat about headlights.

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

congrats, mr. sam.

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

To a guy who has been a friend to me in tough times, I say congrats, sir.

Draft saved Draft deleted