1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another tax question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Shaggy, Feb 3, 2008.

1. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

For someone not making a ton of money, what are the odds he (umm....I?) get audited?

I want to claim some of this stuff, but no chance I have most of the receipts...

Then what?

2. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

They're actually rather low.

Our former office manager was an accountant for years. She said 95-99 percent of all the audits she encountered were people claiming home office expenses and too much meals/entertainment stuff.

Still, don't fuck with the IRS.

3. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Would anyone on here be an incredible friend and post "everything" we might be able to deduct?

I have zero tax/money knowledge, and I did a bunch of freelance this year that I would rather not have to deal with...

Or, would anyone be OK if I PMed them about it?

4. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Make sure you don't forget about Internet, cell phone (if your company doesn't pay for it), mileage (if your company pays you 30 cents a mile -- you can still write off the difference from the federal rate), etc.
    I just got off the phone with my accountant three minutes ago, and he also told me I can write off a portion of my cable as long as I have the sports stations.
    We use a lot of personal shit to do our jobs, and there's no reason we shouldn't be able to write off a lot of it.

Draft saved Draft deleted