1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another tax question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Shaggy, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

My father-in-law, who knows more about taxes than I do, claims that sports books and sports magazine subscription I buy are deductible since I am a sports journalist.

Comments? Experiences?

2. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

I deduct the cost of magazines, newspapers and books I buy (so long as they're actually for work).

If you're in a union shop, you can also deduct your union dues.

3. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

association dues, such as Pro Hockey Writers, Baseball Writers, etc.

4. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I long for the day when I own something that makes it worthwhile to itemize.

5. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

can't you itemize mileage or something?

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

True. Again, be prepared to prove it.

But if you cover football and buy Kiper's draft guides and stuff like that, you can claim it. Same with any premium Internet site you might subscribe to because it helps with work.

7. In Exile

In Exile Member

Yes, deductable. You are a sportswriter, anything you buy that contains sportswriting is deductable - books, magazines, online charges - all expenses that help you do your job.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yes, but you have to have a certain minimum amount of these to deduct them, right?

9. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

I forget how it works (the exact percentage of AGI), but once you start figuring in mileage, association dues, etc., in tally up.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Check.

11. You will surprised at the amount of things you can deduct; Clothes (work), your monthly insurance premiums.

As for the books and magazines, you need to be able to prove its for work. A copy of Street and Smith's recruiting edition or college breakdown (if you are a college writer), yes. If you are working for the Podunk Times covering preps and you try to claim your annual subscription to SI, you'll have to justify it to the IRS if you get audited.

Don't get carried away.

12. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I suppose buying BASW could be a legit deduction, but then I could see it not being one too.

Draft saved Draft deleted