1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another suspicious death in Mississippi River near La Crosse

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gutter, Oct 2, 2006.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

http://www.abcnews.go.com/GMA/Story?id=4738621&page=1

2. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

"Patriot Act, Patriot Act." Alec Baldwin in the role of Captain Ellerby in the Departed as the authorities set up a wiretap during an attempted mob bust.

3. 93Devil

You know what's funny? I'm against the Patriot Act, but I do see its use in something like this.

4. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

The GMA thing was done by the same woman who did the KSTP story (they might be the exact same reports, not sure).

I don't know, maybe there is a group of serial killers running around undetected, and I'll tell my nephew at the University of Minnesota to stay away from the Mississippi (he'd probably be safe anyway. He's not very athletic, and hasn't yet proven to be a high achiever in college, prerequisites for being a victim of this cult) but it just sounds completely implausible.

Shockingly, the detectives are also making a plea for more money to continue their investigations. I'm sure plenty of grieving families searching for answers will now be forking over money for...what?

Is the gang doing this related to the group of killers from Cobra who terrorized LA and hunted Brigitte Nielsen, or are they not that organized?

5. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

This is going to make a great movie some day.

6. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I assume the detectives are shopping a book.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'm not exactly a conspiracy theorist but...

In an age where kids can plan for months to shoot up a school and no one notices what's happening until the shooting starts I don't think it would be beyond the realm of possibility that a loosely organized group of people is responsible for this.

Hell, they wouldn't even have to know one another, just be connected thru some website, blog or Facebook page for freaks who fantasize about killing people. A cameraphone and the ability to text message and you can share your conquests with your buddies.

The smiley face thing would indicate that these deaths may have some sort of connection. Either that or it's a popular thing to scrawl on riverside rocks around the Midwest and every one of these kids just happened to go in the drink right next to one.

More than likely they're unrelated accidents but I certainly wouldn't rule out foul play.

8. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

They've made it clear they need money to continue their investigation.

The Minneapolis police says that no new evidence was presented to them by these two investigators. Did they show photos on GMA of the smiley faces they say they've found?

9. 93Devil

I saw that.

If those were at the locations, you have to look into it a little bit more.

I just hope neither of these guys are big fans of Detective Jimmy McNulty.

10. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

What locations?

How accurately do you think these two fellas can identify where a body went in to a river?

11. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

The investigators need to back up their claims. Read the piece STG linked above and the comments. Right now, until they provide names of suspects and the evidence they feel links them to these deaths, this all comes off as a sweeps week piece. I'm open to all ideas, I just want something to convince me.

Draft saved Draft deleted