1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another soccer question (style)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smallpotatoes, Nov 8, 2006.

1. KP

KP Active Member

Well, that's a given.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

In Texas, no one gives a shit about soccer except 2 moms in your whole circ area who have your EE on speed dial.

3. Want to know why newspapers are dying, Bat? Head-in-the-sand attitudes like yours. Don't like soccer, NASCAR, X Games, whatever? Just ignore it. Give 'em more football. And you wonder why you can't attract new and younger readership.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Pastor (Crass) hit the key. The goals are scored in the 16th minute, in the 22nd minute and in the 38th minute, for example.
    Goals scored late are not in stoppage time, injury time, etc. They are in the 40th minute or 80th minute if your state HS governing body mandates 40-minute halves.

Similar to Massachusetts, Smallpotatoes - at least in the two states where I've staffed matches - the clock kept on the scoreboard is merely a guide and should be shut off with two minutes to play in each half (or OT period) because the referee keeps the official time.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Digital watch with stopwatch mode. When I see the ref signal for a clock stoppage, or stop his clock, I stopped mine.

6. That's a piece of technology I lack. I guess I'll just keep doing it the way I do it and leave it at that. Besides, I forgot to mention that the scoreboard clock is official here ... or as official as I need it to be. ;D

7. Sconnie

Sconnie Member

Soccer is all guesswork anyway. I just look at my regular watch before the game starts. If it's 6:33 when the kickoff happens, and there is a goal at 6:43, that's the 11th minute.

I don't know how you can give an exact time when stoppage time is basically decided on how much time the ref THINKS was wasted during the half because of injures, balls going OB, goals or whatever.

8. KP

KP Active Member

Also, when you say Kelly Kicksthesnotoutoftheball scored in stoppage time, people get the hint that she scored really late.

Kicksthesnotoutoftheball is a sophomore.

9. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

No wonder I haven't heard of her yet. I can't wait to see how much progress she makes over the next two years. (Assuming, of course, she doesn't quit the high school team to concentrate on her club.)

10. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Getting the exact, to the second time on a goal scored in soccer is like saying the goal was made from 12 yards out. Twelve yards. Can you be sure? It's an approximation, letting the reader know that the kick didn't come from out of the penalty box and it wasn't just dumped past the goalie.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well, yeah, because it would destroy the integrity of The Beautiful Game if the players really knew how much time was left in the half, because if they did, they would probably start trying real hard to score, which would disrupt the natural flow of the game, so we just can't have that. ::) ::) ::) [/typicalsupereffetesoccerelitist]

Draft saved Draft deleted