1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another sign the golf industry is hurting

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TwoGloves, Jan 7, 2012.

1. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Buddy of mine lives outside San Francisco. Said he saw a Groupon offer worth 73 percent off a round at Pebble Beach. I know Pebble Beach is pricey ($500 plus?) but 73 percent is an outrageously good deal. I think I'd buy a couple if I were out there. (And yes, I've heard the horror stories about long rounds. It's Pebble Beach!)

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Not quite Pebble Beach Golf Course. It's Poppy Hills Golf Course in Pebble Beach, Calif. It's still used to be part of the National Pro-Am.

http://www.groupon.com/deals/poppy-hills-golf-course?c=dnb&p=3

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Nah, not anymore. Poppy Hills was removed a couple of years ago and nobody was sad to see it go. Definitely the weak sister on the peninsula, and that price isn't out of the ordinary at all for off-season dates.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Uh, Pebble Beach won't need any Groupons anytime soon, even with a $500 rack rate.

And the fine print on that Poppy Hills deal said cart not included. That can be a sneaky way to add as much as $30.

5. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

I thought that sounded a little too good to be true.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

What? High-handicapped golfers finally stopped buying this crap?

Draft saved Draft deleted