1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another sad story about a former NBA player

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

But that's the thing. He's had 23 years to figure out what to do with his life after basketball. He's had wealthy friends help him out, not to mention receiving over $20K from the league assistance program. Heck, he even had a job as a girls high school basketball coach, and he couldn't hold on to that.

I'd be more sympathetic if it was an 1970s/80s NFL player who spent 10 years getting his body slammed around on Astroturf and then being in so much pain that they are on disability for life. But while Williams does have his health problems, they weren't as crippling as an NFL player's. My father is in his mid-60s, and has diabetes and high blood pressure, and he's still working at his job which he's had for nearly 20 years, so, while everyone has their own specific health issues, diabetes in itself may not necessarily be the main reason why someone can't hold a job. Yet, fromt the story, Williams blames his inability to hold a job on his diabetes..

Also don't forget, the cost of living was much lower back then. $150,000 in 1978 would be over $500K today. http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl In other words, like I said earlier, he didn't have enough money to sit on his butt for the rest of his life, but taking in all the other factors, he sure shouldn't be living out of his car, unless, like Drip says, there's more to the story (Such as, if he lied to the reporter about alcohol and drug use).

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If he played sports in the 80s in NYC with the boys from the Mets, Giants and Jets in town, I would be amazed if he did not at least try drugs.

On the plus side, he is doing better than Marvin Webster.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Specially with Michael Ray as his running mate.

4. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Not so sure about that. Michael Ray used SO much cocaine that he was the reason the price shot up faster than the 1984 stock market. Basic supply and demand. Not sure if any was left for the other Knicks.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

That's a pretty sick joke. Webster was a pretty cool dude from those who covered him on a regular basis. He and his son died of heart ailments.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

You really should erase that post.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Ray's biggest problems were he was not very bright and had an attitude. I'm sure the thought of planning for life beyond basketball never entered his mind.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

Oh I disagree. It entered. It just never stayed very long.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

That too

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Humanly erase it?

11. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

Knowing MRR having covered him these last few years, that's hilarious and he would think so too. Well done.

12. I don't feel sorry for him in the least.....

He's gotten two grants for 10,000

he's gotten two more grants for 2,000

He's had jobs, he's had countless chances to turn it around...

He didn't.....sorry, that's on him. He's homeless now? Help yourself. Take the 10 g's and go back to school. Learn a trade. Figure it out.

Draft saved Draft deleted