1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another ridiculous smoking ban, another nail in the coffin of civil liberties.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zagoshe, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It worked. No more smoke in our faces. Oddly enough, he and his ditzy-bitch GF (who was lighting up too) elected to leave. ;D

2. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

That always cracks me up, when I hear people (my parents' age especially) saying we just didn't know it was bad for you. Right, because inhaling smoke into your body has to be a good thing ...

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Re: Another ridiculous smoking ban, another nail in the coffin of civil libertie

Even though I'm an adamant non-smoker, I'm not a fan of smoking bans in restaurants and in outside areas as long as they don't infringe on non-smokers.

Having said that, the attitudes such as the one you mentioned are enough to make me not give a flying frig if they banned smoking altogether.

4. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

I despise smoking but if it is legal to smoke in the environment, do you still have your "tough-guy" attitude?

5. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Oh, I can top that.
    I was at a wedding, my brother-in-law's "first wedding," which I knew to be doomed from the time I met the maid of honor. I got stuck in the wedding party riding around in the limo, and the MOH was one of the crudest people I'd ever met.
    But I didn't know HOW crude until the wedding started, and then the DJ started spinning the music. I wish I can remember what tune he played, but when Miss MOH heard it, she exclaimed that she LOVED the song and had to dance to it. So she took the cigarette she was smoking out of her mouth, dropped it on the carpeted floor of the wedding hall, crushed it out with one quick twist of her ankle and jetted onto the dance floor.
    Never saw anything like it, before or after.
    The bimbo who was best friends with this witch cheated on my brother-in-law inside 11 months. Thankfully, he's moved on to marry one of the loveliest women on the planet.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Nope, the reason I got bad-ass is that it was clearly marked all over the place that smoking was not permitted and was grounds for immediate ejection. I asked the ushers to deal with it and they did nothing, so...

Before launching Slacker Boy on his short airline trip down the steps, I asked politely once, asked a little less politely the second time, asked dramtically less politely the third time. Strike three, buckle up, big boy.

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I stand with Zag on this one.
    The smoking bans are crazy.
    I don't smoke and I never have.
    I prefer to go to places that don't allow smoking inside, but, still, if the place allows it, so be it.
    I don't need the government telling me what I can and can't do.

8. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Starman, sorry to hear about your folks, but I'm glad they got to live a few extra years. It's also good to see Starman justice is still going strong.

Those who think smoking is a civil right -- something I must have missed while reading the Constitution, which article was that in? -- must also believe we all have the right to inhale and drink pollution.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Star, while I respect your right, I don't think legally or morally you had a right to physically touch the young man. You could've been brought up on charges.
    Anyway, how was the concert?

10. markvid

markvid Guest

Which was a moot point if you crashed.

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

The smoking cabins on the international flights smelled worse than an old bar on a Saturday morning.

12. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

With a nod to the over caffinated one,

"Folks, this is your Captain speaking. Look, uhm, light 'em up, 'cause we're going down, okay. I got a carton of Camels non-filters, I'll see you on the ground. Take it easy."

"Folks, this is your captain here...

Draft saved Draft deleted