1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another reporter who made us look bad...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by GRUDGE, Jul 31, 2011.

1. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Just watched it again, and he says "I have this girlfriend who is a huge Iowa fan ..."

Then Ferentz later says, "You're dating an Iowa fan", obviously making a lighthearted note about a Nebraska TV guy dating an Iowa fan. The TV guy says, "Well, not yet, but it may be moving in that direction."

He went from "I have this girlfriend" to "not yet" when the dating question came up. I'm sure this "Jeanette" who the TV clown is chasing would be thrilled to see this video.

Let us know if the station GM responds, tbf. I'd guess he would be punished because he asked a rival coach, and not for the act of asking for an autograph itself.

2. lobwedge

lobwedge New Member

Ed has issued a response:

http://deadspin.com/5826605/

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Ed's one sharpe fellow.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Nothing gets paste him.

5. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I didn't think it was possible, but his response is almost as bad as the autograph request itself.

1) He implies it's OK because he was getting the autograph from someone else and not himself.
    2) He tries to deflect the blame because he didn't think the conversation was being taped. That would make one think that he knew what he was doing was wrong.

For anyone who may know him, is he that stupid?

And in the bigger picture, I know almost every pro credential I've been issued states in big type that the credential can be revoked for doing things like asking for autographs. How funny would it be if Nebraska made the Big Ten championship game and the conference denied him a credential for getting an autograph for a woman who probably was never interested in him in the first place?

6. I hope either the U. of Nebraska or the Big Ten takes action against this clown. Nebraska should revoke his season credentials for this year and the Big Ten should deny any and all credential requests.

7. Writers Block

Writers Block New Member

If his station has any respect they will fire his ass by the end of the day. That is just embarrassing and it makes all of our jobs that much harder. Coaches really believe we are fans of the team we cover. Ed's actions only adds to why it's hard for us to be be critical when necessary. Coaches really believe they coach the media and when done right that is just not the case. Fire his ass!

8. YankeessSuck

YankeessSuck Member

I love at the :18 mark the guy filiming this says "I'm getting this on film. I'm rolling."

And Ed's response that the autograph wasn't for him so it's OK is pathetic. You just don't do that. Ever. The fact he's been in the biz for 20 years makes it worse than if this had been some newbie reporter.

9. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Ed should have said he was doing a take off on the ESPN The Mag story about the nicest coaches in America from a few issues back, to see if Ferentz's niceness would translate even to a crazy sports journalist autograph request.

10. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

"Hey coach, you see there's this girl, who's really cute, and I think an autograph from you would seal the deal for me. Oh, can you put your name on the autograph."

What an idiot. Might be a worse punishment if he's allowed to continue going to pressers amid the smirks of coaches and the glares of his colleagues.

11. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

after reading his response, it's obvious he just doesn't get it.
    Our profession would be better off without these dingbats.

12. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

You win, Johnny. You win!

Draft saved Draft deleted