1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another reporter who made us look bad...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by GRUDGE, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Shocker.

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Email sent to the general manager.

3. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

I loved the end. Ferentz is telling a story of how a neighbor got coach Bo to sign something for him years ago. Thought he might be opening up and making it not so bad. He then ends the story saying coach Bo wrote something like this idiot is making me sign this. I love it. That and the "I'm guessing you could use some points," comment are not so subtle insults directed at this schmuck.

4. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

What's the big deal? If he's not too shy to mention shopping, Jim Rome and Desperate Houseives in his bio he certainly shouldn't be ashamed to ask for an autograph!

Ed says he enjoys living and working in central Nebraska. “It is good to be a member of the community here in the tri-cities where I have met some wonderful friends over the years. It is a good place to call home,” Ed said. He lists shopping, exercising and being with friends as his favorite pastimes.

ED’S FAVORITE MOVIE: DOA: Dead or Alive
    ED'S FAVORITE BOOK & AUTHOR: On Solid Ground by Tom Osborne
    ED’S FAVORITE JOURNALIST: Jim Rome
    ED’S ALL-TIME FAVORITE TELEVISION SHOWS:
    1. 60 Minutes
    2. Desperate Housewives
    3. Boston Legal
    4. The Practice

5. baskethead

baskethead Member

I love that his favorite author is Tom Osborne.
    Hard to argue with DOA: Dead or Alive.

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Yup, he looks like he exercises a shit ton.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I tend to usually believe that I'd have some common ground with just about any sports journalists, and that we could probably get along if necessary for a few hours or go to a bar and have a beer and not be left with nothing to discuss.

Given that list, I don't think this guy qualifies. I'm in my 20s and had never heard of DOA: Dead or Alive.

And Jim Rome, journalist? Really?

8. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Having watched Dead Ed's work for years, I am not the least bit surprised.

9. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I'm not a big journalism outrage guy, with so many gray areas and so much angst over such little issues, but honest to god, I couldn't watch that video clip to the finish. I had to close the browser. Ugghh!

10. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

The end is the best part, with the Bo Schembechler story and it going completely over the guy's head. I wonder what Ferentz was truly thinking during that whole thing.

Here's a Tweet from an Iowa reporter about it:

I guess Big Ten officials should be appreciative that the hayseeds who made the trip over to the big city were smart enough to wear shirts and shoes ...

11. GRUDGE

GRUDGE Member

12. lobwedge

lobwedge New Member

It's pretty funny when Ed, as he tells the coach to sign his name (duh), nearly has a slip of the tongue and calls Kirk Ferentz "Kirk Gibson"

Draft saved Draft deleted