1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another redesign thread

Discussion in 'Design Discussion' started by ColbertNation, Aug 21, 2008.

1. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Our paper's doing a total redesign, and they want to have it implemented by Nov. 1. This will involve content, layout, fonts, masthead ... the whole shebang.
    Just looking for some pointers for those of you who have gone through something similar. I have a list of ideas that I'm working on, but I'm always open to more ideas.
    More specifically, they caught my ear when they mentioned fonts. Our heds are Times and Helvetica, and our typeface is Corona. I'm wondering what some of you who have gone through redesigns have had success with when it comes to fonts.
    Again, any thoughts and/or suggestions would be appreciated here.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

You (the collective you) have two months to entirely redo the paper, they're shoving the responsibility onto the mainline staff with presumably no relief from regular desk shifts, and they want the thing fired up the Saturday before election day? Holy shit.

3. we have benton sans fonts for heads and miller text for text. some chains are hopping on that bandwagon.

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I think shoving a total redesign down readers' throats is a terrible idea. Be prepared for people complaining, cancelling subscriptions, etc. People don't like dramatic changes to "the paper."

I've implemented design changes over the course of time I've been at my shop. All have come gradually.

5. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

I would suggest that if you're going to do a complete redesign, then implement the changes slowly, just to minimize the impact on your readers (you would be surprised how many will complain if you drop all the changes on the readership all at once) ... I once worked at a major daily (250,000+ circulation) that spread things out over several months (new headline font one week, new body type a few weeks later, new masthead design a few weeks after that, etc.) and had less than a dozen complaints ...

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

GMTA, SportsGuyBCK.

I haven't drastically redesigned my paper, but I've implemented a few changes gradually. It looks slightly different and (I hope) a little better.

7. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

I couldn't agree more, f_t ... :)

I've been on both sides of redesigns -- the slow way, which I prefer, and the "dump it on the unwashed masses" way, which (except in rare circumstances) is insulting to your readers ...

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Well, if you've got to do it, maybe Helvetica's out of style, but it will make your job a little easier.

You won't have to convert AP graphics for fonts. That can be a big time-saver.

That is, if you tend to use AP graphics.

9. Blair Waldorf

Blair Waldorf Member

Interstate is an easy substitute for Helvetica, and it's family is very diverse.
    Go with one serif family for all headlines. Madison is a good one.

An easier fix would be to use Corona Bold for your headline font and use Interstate as your body font. You can scale regular-use Interstate back so it takes up less space vertically and horizontally than all serif fonts, allowing you to get more body copy on a page than before.

10. Blair Waldorf

Blair Waldorf Member

Also - don't know if you visit Linotype much, but their Form Finder tool is pretty fun, if you're a font geek that likes to be a little hands-on with how your letters should look:

http://www.linotype.com/formfinder.html

11. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Blair
    Yes I am a font nerd, and thanks for the link.

12. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Well, apparently the re-design has been re-thought. I'm thinking that the EE got a little antsy with all of the suggestions he was getting, so now he's doing it himself, and he's just playing with the fonts.
    All I can say is that was a close one. For a while there, it looked like someone might actually ask for my input and have it count for something. Something comfortable about my suggestions being totally ignored. Ahh, the status quo.
    Rant over.

Draft saved Draft deleted