1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another reason why hockey is Canada's game....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Dec 23, 2006.

1. Flash

Flash Guest

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. ;)

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Since we're on the subject, I can't recommend enough "When the Lights Went Out', Gare Joyce's book on the "Punch-up at Piestany".

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I posted the same on the books thread. Can't figure out if I like the reporting or the writing better. Our Man Joyce did a helluva job. :)

4. Flash

Flash Guest

Chapters? Can I get it at Chapters?

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Any bookstore worth its salt would have it. Amazon.ca has it as well.

And Buck, I liked the reporting. Tracking down that goddam Norwegian referee was pretty damn impressive.

Joyce has this article (I posted this over at the journalism board) on ESPN the magazine on the baseball scout Ron Lucadello. Great stuff

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=lucadello

6. I want a Rat Portage game jersey stat!

7. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Earlier in the year, a friend took a picture of me with the Cup. It might be one of the most uncomfortable pictures you'll ever see. I've been told "You look like you're posing with a prom date" to "You look like you're being violated with a live mackerel" to "You really diminished the Cup's innate beauty, you ugly bastard."

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

That would be cool but I'd rather have a Renfrew Millionaires jersey. Cyclone Taylor was born in a nearby village which recently renamed its arena after him and changed all of its minor hockey team nicknames to Cyclones in tribute.

When my oldest son and I posed with it several years ago at the HOF, I asked if I could hoist it for the photo and was politely told that no, I could not.

A guy I know who won it with the Red Wings was more reasonable. I was at his house when the Cup arrived for his day with it, and it got hoisted -- and it was an even cooler feeling than it would have been at the HOF, because I knew this was the real Cup, not the stand-in that frequents the hall while the real deal is on tour.

I figured, hey, let's face it, I'm never gonna win the Cup. If this is the only chance I'll ever have to hoist it, damn it, I'm hoisting! ;D

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

UPDATE: I just checked and we could buy replica jersey patches from those old teams. The 1907 Thistles patch is on the left, the 1910 Millionaires patch is on the right, both available on eBay for less than $15 U.S. plus shipping from Albany, N.Y.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Flash

Flash Guest

Point 1: It took Renfrew bloody well long enough!

Point 2: After hearing stories about what some of the guys have done to the Cup, I'm not sure I want it anywhere near my person anyway!! ;)

11. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I'm sure future Cup Champions are grateful. ;)

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

It's Fenian's birthday, one of you hosers needs to find the boy a Rat Portage jersey.

Draft saved Draft deleted