1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another reason why hockey is Canada's game....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Dec 23, 2006.

1. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

It's a good thing there are so many Hurricanes from Canada or else the Stanley Cup would have no reason to go anyplace in Canada other than the Hockey Hall of Fame in the past few months.

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

Earlier this year the Stanley Cup finally returned to its birthplace, in London, England. A plaque was unveiled at the site where Frederick Arthur Stanley, the first Baron Stanley of Preston, bought the original Cup in 1892.

[​IMG]

The Cup also met the 19th Earl of Derby, Edward Richard William Stanley, who is Frederick's great-grandson. The current earl's eight-year-old son is now Baron Stanley. Neither father nor son, apparently, have ever seen a hockey game but the earl seems to be a great sport about his family's role in hockey history.

[​IMG]

3. Dude

Dude Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

The folks in Stockholm might have something to say on who's sport it is.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Why is Mark Messier hugging Peter Forsberg? ::)

5. Flash

Flash Guest

Please. A couple of Olympic gold medal does not make the Swedes inventors of the game.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Never touch the Cup until you win it.

7. Flash

Flash Guest

Amen, sister.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

The rule is pretty much irrelevant if there's no chance that you'll ever win it. So, if you won't actually be jinxing yourself, touch away.

Besides, his name is on it. He can pretty much do whatever he wants to it. :)

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Nice story in today's Globe by Allan Maki about the centennial of the Kenora Thistles winning the Stanley Cup against the Montreal Wanderers.

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/LAC.20061227.MAKI27/GSStory/GlobeSports/home/?query=

Try to imagine what it was like 100 years ago when Kenora (previously known as Rat Portage, for the many muskrats that inhabited the area) was a speck in the wilds of Northwestern Ontario. There were no automobiles then; everything was horse-drawn. Electricity was limited to a few buildings. The Canadian Pacific Railway may have run through the heart of Kenora, but the town was a far cry from the established centres in the east, particularly Montreal, the dominion's most modern city.

and

It began with a group of kids who grew up together playing hockey on frozen creeks and rivers. Some dropped out along the way, but five would end up spiriting the Thistles into history: Billy McGimsie, Roxy Beaudro, Tom Hooper, Silas Griffis and Phillips, the captain.

The two out-of-towners who completed the seven-man unit were goaltender Ed Giroux and Art Ross, who would later have a trophy named for him and presented to the NHL's top scorer each year.

10. Flash

Flash Guest

JR, have you read Hockey Night in the Dominion of Canada by Eric Zweig? It is one of my favourites ... a fictionalized account of the Renfrew Millionaires and dawning of the NHL ...

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Flash,
    I have not but I'm about to put a hold on it at the Toronto Publc Library.

Thanks for that.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Whatever. I won't be touching it 'til I win it.

Even though I'll never win it. But, you know, if I do ...

Draft saved Draft deleted