1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another reason why hockey is Canada's game....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Dec 23, 2006.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Stephen Harper, our PM, is a hockey historian. Not only can he read, he can write.

He's written a good piece in today's Star about amateur hockey in Toronto in the early 20th century. And he's writing a book about the early history of the sport.

Too bad his politics suck.

http://www.thestar.com/News/article/164678

And a professional was not merely someone who accepted pay for play in some form. It included anyone who ever played with or against a professional. So serious was the charge of being professional that the accused was required to prove his innocence. To be found to be guilty of professionalism meant exclusion from virtually all sporting fraternities for life

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Interesting passage there.

Reminds me of how players were ostracized (and even suspended, or blacklisted) for playing outlaw games against a team with an ex-Black Sox player throughout the 1920s. Dickey Kerr, one of the clean Sox, was one of them.

3. That almost makes up for the cowboy photo over on t'other thread.

4. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Because no one else wants it?

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

If our chief of state tried to write a book about his favorite sport ...

Wait. Our chief of state. Writing a book. Ri-i-i-i-i-ight.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

You mean this?

[​IMG]

OK, if he were an American, which State would elect him? :)

7. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

Well, he's ahead of Jacques Demers on two counts. But phonics is not Canada's game.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

San Francisco would elect him as its mayor. If he had ass-less chaps to match the vest, he'd be promoted to queen in a heartbeat.

Neither is troll-feeding, at least not this weekend. Merry Christmas, ya mutt. ;)

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

And he's also got this in his closet. (Well, he wore it at an APEC Summit earlier this year)

[​IMG]

10. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Montana, of course :D

11. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

If hockey is Canada's sport, why....

*Has no Canadian team won the Stanley Cup since 1993?
    *Have teams from Florida, Texas, and North Carolina won the Stanley Cup in the last 10 years alone?
    *Have NHL franchises in Quebec City and Winnipeg left Canada for Denver and (egads!) Phoenix?

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

A weak Canadian dollar as well as cities such as Raleigh, Denver and Phoenix willing to subsidize new arenas to draw in big dollars to pay for talent.
    Hopefully, a strong Canadian dollar will pay other dividends -- as it almost did in June with Edmonton.

Draft saved Draft deleted