1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another reason to take global warming stories with a grain of salt

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Batman, Jan 19, 2007.

1. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I can understand your skepticism about the weather in "Texas" or the "Northeast."
    But, what about a glacier -- A GLACIER -- that was there 75 years ago.

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I do look forward to telling my kids* when they complain about going to school in the winter about how, when I was their age, I had to drive three miles in 70-degree weather to go to work. Uphill both ways. And in a domestic car.

* -- by "my kids" I mean "someone else's kids" because I am too ugly to be believed.

3. Fubar

Fubar Member

Two days ago in 1978, it snowed a bunch in Miami. Was that global warming?

Just askin'. I wanna know how much time I have left.

If it wasn't for glaciers our country would be a helluva lot smoother. What happened to those glaciers that created topography? Is this global warming II, III, or IV?

I understand the majority of the global warming theory. I'm completely in agreement with doing more than our part to keep our environment clean. However, I think it's just plain silly that our country is getting beat over the head on a daily basis over this thing, while newly industrialized countries like China and India are spewing waste into their area without thinking twice about it. I think about the US and Canada, then I think about a number of other countries... Then I hear a bunch of people complain about how the whole world is going to hell and it's all our fault. Why don't the folks humping for this spend more time railing on dirty nations in addition to our own?

The whining doesn't convince me to do more than my part. You can't make me feel any more guilty than I already feel. It's annoying, and gets us nowhere on a global scale... Just my opinion. Feel free to rail away on me while I sit in my single digit winter. It's supposed to get really cold before it gets unbearably hot, right?

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Actually, Fubar, that it hasn't snowed in Miami since 1978 is, I'm sure to some, further evidence of global warming. And snow at the equator has never been recorded, so that's even more evidence. Case closed.

5. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Is there any chance that you'll actually look into the global warming theories at some point, or is that too much for you? Because as far as I can tell, you know absolutely nothing about it, except that GWB has said he doesn't believe it so neither do you.

I mean, really, an hour and a half is all it takes to get through "An Inconvenient Truth." You don't have to agree with any of it. But you wouldn't be posting idiotic nonsense and would look less like a dipshit -- of course, not looking like a dipshit has never really factored into any of your other posts.

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

The problem is, dog, I don't think the fact that we're a half-degree warmer than we were 150 years ago is a big deal. Hell, I don't even think it's a little deal. It's nothing. The earth has warmed and cooled in cycles throughout all of its existence. When a volcano erupts and puts hundreds of times more greenhouse gasses in the air than man has put in in the last 100 years, to argue that global warming is caused by man-made greenhouse gasses is a little silly.

And since you almost asked me like a real person actually seeking what I think (I'll disregard the two "dipshit" shots in hopes of raising the level of discourse), let me ask you this: Is it not entirely possible that the earth previous to the last 50 years or so had been in a cooling cycle and it's now just returning back to more normal? Can you even consider that possibility for a second? Or are you so wrapped up in the religion of global warming just because guys like Al Gore say so? I have seen nothing at all to indicate that the left wants any sort of real discourse on global warming. Take the idiot at the Weather Channel who recently suggested that any meteorologist who doesn't buy into global warming be decertified. That's not seeking discourse. That's trying to cut off discourse.

I remember a few months back bringing up the sun and it possibly burning hotter in cycles and the entire left side of this forum rose up as though I'd just spit in their collective mother's face. You, I recall, were one of the most vociferous. I'll guarantee you this much, dog: The sun is the No. 1 thing that affects our climate here on earth. And to believe that something that puts out that amount of energy has to be burning at the same intensity or temperature every day is beyond the pale of naivete.

To sum up, yes, we're about a half-degree warmer than some 50-150 years ago. But it's not because of man, and there's nothing we can do that will change it or turn it around since it's nothing we've done in the first place.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

hey not-so-smart right-wing guy (redundant, yes, i know), if you need the sad news from a republican's perspective, why don't you see what the CIA has to say about it. it predicts some dire shit in our lifetimes.

8. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Here's the real problem: You, like a lot of people, want a simple answer. And "the Earth has warmed a half a degree" or "I bet it's the sun" fits that nicely.

But they don't come close to being accurate explanations of what's happening.

Now, I'm not gonna sit here at this hour and bang out a 1,000-word post explaining global warming, because 1) I don't think you'd read it if I did, and 2) The Google works just as well for you as it does for me.

That said, the key here isn't the global temps. Because of the way our environment works, temperatures in one area, such as the Arctic, can be affected tremendously by a 1-degree spike overall. And that's what's happening now. You can argue until you're blue in the face about what's causing it, but there's little doubt, given the HUGE spike in carbon dioxide levels, we're playing a rather big-ass role. And shit that ought not be melting, is melting.

As I've said before, the only thing the global warming folk want to do is figure out how much of a role we're playing in this spike and institute measures to stop our contributions. And by stopping all the shit we're doing that these scientists believe is causing this warming, we also make our planet a lot cleaner. So, what's the problem? Let's say we get 20 years down the road and these people come back and say, "You know what, we totally missed on that. It was the sun all along," how are we damaged? We've got cleaner streams, lakes, rivers and air. That's the down side.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

who are you talking to king of the douche?

10. standman

standman Member

I think if more people took that stance, people would be more receptive to doing things to deal with global warming. Frankly, there is sort of a Y2K panic/hype to global warming at this point. No planes fell out of the sky that day and people get tired of pundits projecting gloom and doom.

I also understand other people's concern about us feeling guilty for producing greenhouse gases, when emerging and rapidly growing economies in China and India will not really give a crap about it when the dollars start flowing.

That said, I think the idea of personal responsibility should speak loudest. My family and I do the best we can... we take public transportation when it's practical, lower our thermostats in the winter (sometimes I wear a ski cap in my house when it's cold), I recycle and I don't use chemicals in my garden and lawn.

Even if the global warming thing is just a weather pattern gone wild (Dust Bowl), I've saved some money on utilities and I feel like at least I've done my part.

11. And at one time, a glacier covered the area where I'm sitting right now. Your point?

12. Don't you see the connection? Ever since man invented fire there has been global warming which causes the glaciers to shrink. Now we must pass legislation so that the world returns to the way it was meant to be....a giant block of ice.

Draft saved Draft deleted