1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another reason to take global warming stories with a grain of salt

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Batman, Jan 19, 2007.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

In the scientific community denying global warming/climate change is akin to believing in intelligent design.

The ID people have the "documents that support their side". Problem is, they're fraudulent, not to mention stupid.

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I think the problem is this: while there's proof that global warming exists, the way it manifests itself to John Q. Public is unimpressive. Tell him and his wife Jane that the average temperature rose .5 to 1.0 degrees in the last 100 years, and they'll look at you and go "well, so what? I can't tell the difference between 67 and 68 anyway." You can explain the possible ramifications, but that's going to take a lot of energy for a low chance of payoff.

So when something dramatic occurs -- the 2004-05 hurricane seasons or the abnormally warm late December-early January in most of the northern and eastern U.S. -- at some point global warming gets the credit, even though the proof for the connection between those two events tend to be far more tenuous than proof for the climate change itself (and both phenomena have simplier and accepted-by-expert explainations that don't dissolve into junk science or a firm belief in ideology: a long-predicted 30-year upswing in hurricane activity and El Nino doing a supreme dog-style fuckup of North American weather patterns).

3. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

*hoping old_tony doesn't read this thread*

4. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

I'm all for abandoning LCD explanations. People don't get to play doctor or policeman in our society, why do they get to play amateur climatologist?

5. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Righty Web sites are pummeling Heidi Cullen (for her essentially equating meterologists who don't believe in global warming with flar earthers and Holocaust deniers).
    She's doing something right.

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I disagree.

I think global warming is a verifiable phenomenom, and I think a lot of what we consider people who don't believe it exists are getting the debate over its existence confused with the debate over its cause. But good heavens, comparing people who don't believe it exists to Holocaust deniers? I mean, I guess it could be worse, she could be calling them Holocaust supporters, but sweet Jesus, do you have to be insulting to prove your point? In this day and age, apparently so.

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Batman might be one of those people who believe Noah's Flood created the Grand Canyon.

You ain't going to find anything about global warming in the Book of Nahum.

8. When I'm surfing in Ohio, I'll remember this thread fondly.

9. audreyld

audreyld Guest

High blood pressure is the OTHER leading cause of global warming.

;)

10. Junkie...deep to his left, GREAT pickup and he throws him out.

11. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I don't believe in global warming, either.

Upsala Glacier in Patagonia, Argentina:

[​IMG]

Would take a lot of grains of salt to melt a glacier.... Or a few degrees on the thermometer.

12. standman

standman Member

I totally understand that global warming exists, but I get a kick out of people citing snow in Texas and warmth in the Northeast that the world is coming to an end as we know it. Didn't our parents always talk about how crazy the weather is?

Having said that, we need to be smart about it and do things as individuals to preserve the environment. I get tired of people driving SUVs and telling me about global warming.

Draft saved Draft deleted