1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another reason not to spank children

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by sportschick, Feb 29, 2008.

1. pallister

pallister Guest

"Spanking" is not synonymous with "beating" for most people.

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

You're not the brightest bulb in this lamp.

3. pallister

pallister Guest

So all parents who spanked their kids were ignorant? Still being over the top?

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Yea, that is what I believe. If you can't find a better way to discipline your kids, you're either uninformed (i.e. ignorant) or lazy.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

It's put forth in a study. Very simple.

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Very simple. Go read a few posts up. No wonder you're not in this business anymore.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Is it the same reason as the hundreds being laid off from newspapers around the country?

8. pallister

pallister Guest

That's painting with a mighty broad (i.e. ignorant) brush.

9. sportschick

I also said I was being intentionally over the top because people were being douchebag idiots, but whatever.

10. sportschick

With your hatred of education, you'd know all about ignorance.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Ah, I knew it was coming. And of course, anybody who disagrees with your opinion is an idiot, right SC?

You seriously need to shut the fuck up. You don't know what you are talking about. That's what is frustrating about posts like yours. I don't think you have children, do you? Sorry, but that one right there disqualifies you from giving me parental advice. How can you know the reasons a parent does anything if you haven't experienced being one?

What your parents did worked for you? Great. That's one child. I can on two hands the number of times my parents spanked my brother and I total. And that was fine for me. I was a relatively reasonable kid.

But my brother? It's a complete fucking miracle my brother made it to adulthood with the shit he pulled and I'm not exaggerating. He was completely out of control every step of the way. He desperately needed some real discipline and never got it.

Another example of how the same parenting method can work well for one child and not so well for another. It's only anectodal evidence, but so was your post.

The truth is, spanking is wrong for some children. And it is right for others. And people like you have no business trying to tell parents which is right for their child.

But hey, I'm glad you started off by giving me permission to raise my child however I see fit. I was getting a little concerned there that my wife and I weren't in charge of raising our little girl any more.

12. pallister

pallister Guest

Yes, SC, and when I have kids, not only will I spank them if necessary, I will not allow them to go to school. And if I ever find out they're sneaking around trying to learn, well, look out!

Draft saved Draft deleted