1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another reason not to spank children

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by sportschick, Feb 29, 2008.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

It can lead to them physcially coercing their partners later in life.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080229/lf_nm_life/children_spanking_dc

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Without knowing more about the study, I'm not buying it.
    Also, is the following a problem inherited from the study or a problem written in by the reporter:

'Men who had experienced corporal punishment were four times more likely to physically coerce a partner into having sex, than those who had not experienced a lot of corporal punishment.'

That comparison is not parallel. The first clause contains no qualifier, indicating that it refers to men who had experienced any corporal punishment. The second clause includes a qualifier that does not exclude the group referenced in the first clause.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

hey, it's A LOT. if that doesn't narrow it ...

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Then again, maybe kids who experience "a lot of corporal punishment" do so because they're bad kids to begin with. And they grow up to be bad adults, too. That doesn't necessarily mean the corporal punishment is the problem. It just means they might be bad from early on.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

To steal from Denis Leary, my parents used to beat the living shit outta me and looking back on it I'm glad they did. And I'm looking forward to beating the shit outta my kids.

6. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

My parents spanked and have somehow avoided the issues mentioned in the study. I never have spanked my two kids, though.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

"The Headbutt kid must be in therapy again! Their lawn looks fuckin great!"

8. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I only spank hookers.

9. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

If the threat of violence isn't there, devil children will run free.

Gotta make it hurt every so often.

10. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

I echo this sentiment, though I don't "look forward" to beating my kids. My siblings and I got some major belt-whippings as kids, and I don't think any less of them for it. Neither were alcoholics, deviants or doing it for the thrill of it. It was just good ol' Rust Belt Italian-Catholic discipline. We all went to parochial schools, and the nuns dispensed justice with the "board of education." I think we turned out all right.

These days, it seems as though you even breathe on a child wrong, you end up on a very special episode on Oprah on trial before an audience of holier-than-thou fat ass hissing housewives.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

In related news, 89% of those people who physically coerced someone into sex and were spanked as a child are Catholics.

12. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

No, sorry, sometimes a parent has to beat that child's ass.

(Full disclosure: My kids were too old and too well-behaved by the time I came on the scene. Still, I stand by my position.)

Draft saved Draft deleted