1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another reason not to drive in NYC?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by boots, Jun 7, 2007.

1. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

I concur.

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I have one question -- won't collecting all these new tolls require some sort of check points or toll booths and if so, won't that cause more traffic and congestion?

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

of course it will, but money will be involved so it wont matter...

[​IMG]

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I can think of lots of reasons why it's not a good idea to drive in New York...this is only one more. Take it from someone who's done it.

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

As someone who keeps a car in Manhattan -- it is a great idea. I used to keep my car on the West Side by my old job and drive to the East Side on Friday nights. It sometimes took me over an hour to go less than two miles.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Electronic toll booths.

There are no "booths", just overhead cameras that capture your license plate.

7. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

We already have an electronic E-Z Pass system in place on most of our bridges, tunnels and toll roads, so upgrading to some sort of congestion pricing scheme shouldn't be difficult.

8. Gold

Gold Active Member

The only real cost would be putting tolls on East River bridges (they used to be free years ago) because everywhere else, there is some sort of a toll booth. Having to wait at a toll booth would also discourage people from driving into the city.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Bloomberg's proposal is for a system that uses EZPass and cameras. Not toll booths.

10. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

OK -- so if someone from out of state, like a tourist, drives in town -- how will they pay the fee?

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Well, if works like it does up here, they take a snapshot of your license plate and send you a bill.

12. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Zag -

Per JR, here's today's AP rendering of the plan.

NEW YORK CITY -- THE PROPOSAL: As part of a wide-ranging plan to make New York City sustainable over the long term, Mayor Michael Bloomberg is proposing to charge drivers who enter the most congested part of Manhattan. He says he will not enact the plan until other mass transit options are expanded.

THE COST: Trucks would pay $21, and cars would pay $8, to enter Manhattan below 86th Street on weekdays between 6 a.m. and 6 p.m. The major thruways along Manhattan's east and west sides would still be free. Also, commuters who already pay a toll to come into Manhattan via bridges and tunnels would pay the price of the new fee minus that previous toll.

HOW IT WORKS: There would be no tollbooths, just a network of cameras throughout the city that would capture license plate numbers and either charge a driver's existing commuter account or generate a bill to be paid each time.

ALREADY IN THE ZONE: Those who just drive from point A to point B within the zone would pay half price.

WHO OPPOSES IT: Lawmakers and their constituents from communities outside Manhattan, who say it amounts to a tax on the middle class.

Copyright 2007 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
    Suggested Searches

Draft saved Draft deleted