1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another reason not to drive in NYC?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by boots, Jun 7, 2007.

1. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Speaking of holidays: The Queens Official Birthday is tentatively scheduled for Saturday.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Actually, it's Happy Treaty of Tordesillas Day... sorry. Don't hit me.

3. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I flew into LGA last weekend, then rented a car and drove into Mahahattan. On the plane on the way back, the dude next to me had done the same thing.

So yes, tourists drive in Manhattan.

I found a free parking spot, though. Sunday, near 10th and 30th. I'll probably tell my children one day.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Then you, my friend, are a braver man than I.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

We already celebrated Queen Victoria's Birthday a couple of weeks ago.

6. Gold

Gold Active Member

The idea doesn't seem right for folks who live in the other boroughs or places like Co-Op City in the Bronx which is away from the subway lines.

People were talking about this in the 80s. I think the economic and logistical factors are enough of a deterrent to people driving into Manhattan unless they really have to.

This would also affect out-of-Manhattan writers covering the Knicks or Rangers and at the new stadium. I don't think it is reasonable to take a laptop on public transportation.

The cost to get in should be the cost of running the bridges and tunnels.

7. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

It's based on my calendar. Hell if I know if it's right. I'm more amussed that it's tentative.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'll drive anywhere at any time. Except NYC. I will not drive there for anything short of a million bucks.

Those drivers and those streets are fucking crazy. It's far less stressful to walk, and it won't take you much longer to get to your destination by foot than by sitting in an unmoving car.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

If you do decide to drive in NYC, FOR CHRISSAKES, LET US KNOW SO WE CAN LOOK OUT FOR YOU! AND ANNOUNCE WHEN YOU ARE BACK SO WE DON'T WORRY!

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Screw you Poindexter.

You haven't fucking checked in with us in days. You come and go as you please while the rest of us vomit with worry.

We're done with you. You're all grown up now, you can come and go as you please.

11. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Impossible. Mostly because I'm female.

12. Mmac

Mmac Guest

Take a drive through Mexico City someday. It makes NYC driving seem like a stroll through Mayberry.

Draft saved Draft deleted