1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another reason I'm glad I'm married

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by lono, Jun 28, 2008.

1. lono

lono Active Member

So I'm watching TV today, and a Valtrex commercial comes on, proclaiming that one in five American adults has genital herpes.

Thinking that's bulls--t, I looked at the CDC site and found the following: "Results of a nationally representative study show that genital herpes infection is common in the United States. Nationwide, at least 45 million people ages 12 and older, or one out of five adolescents and adults, have had genital HSV infection. ...Genital HSV-2 infection is more common in women (approximately one out of four women) than in men (almost one out of eight)."

Am I the only one who finds these statistics shockingly high, to the point of being unbelievable?

One more reason I'm thrilled to be far removed from the dating game ... yikes.

(And no, Mrs. Lono, I didn't bring back anything from the outing!)

2. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

A friend of mine who would be one of the last people you'd ever imagine having herpes, has herpes. She was pretty far from promiscuous, but an old boyfriend of her's wasn't too far from that before he met her. I easily believe that number, as horrifying as it is.

4. Cadet

Cadet Guest

That number likely includes HPV, which is a very common type of herpes. Most men are carriers but have no symptoms ever; most women will have it in their lifetimes but will not show symptoms, either. If the HPV vaccine gets into regular rotation, it will drastically reduce those numbers within a generation.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I'm glad you didn't get herpes in Seattle, too, lono!!

6. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Herpes, the gift that keeps on giving.

Oh, and don't Google herpes images at work. VERY, VERY NSFW. Glad I'm alone on a Saturday. :eek:

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

That made me laugh very, very hard.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. Flash

Flash Guest

Sorry, Cadet, but HPV is not a form of herpes and, as a matter of fact, is more prevalent than herpes (one in four).

http://www.hpvfaq.com/answers.asp?questionid=12200&answers=1

9. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Hmm, not the way I've heard it, but it makes sense. Both are sexually transmitted viruses, however.

10. Flash

Flash Guest

What's scary is that there are up to 100 known strains of the HPV virus. Unlike herpes, however, many strains eventually leave the body.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

If you add up all the "1 in 10 people has (disease or infection)" stories we read, it probably turns out that the average person has about 23 afflictions.

Draft saved Draft deleted