1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another premature pro wrestling death

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smasher_Sloan, Mar 14, 2009.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Andrew "Test" Martin, 34, according to the Wrestling Observer:

http://www.f4wonline.com/content/view/8643/

2. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

That's sad to read. Looks like WWE will once again become a little more persistent about their testing and policies.

When Test did return to WWE, he did seem to have "bulked" up a lot. I wonder when these guys are going to learn.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Confirmed by AP (which says he is 33, by the way):

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=3980073

4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

He was four days away from 34.

RIP.

5. healingman

healingman Guest

WWE.com's statement:

http://www.wwe.com/inside/industrynews/9571148?cid=2009EP-00

6. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

I often wonder when individuals such as John Cena will pass. Sad, but true, since so many long-term, frequent wrestlers pass decades before their time.

By the way, that WWE statement was the shortest, most protective, least considerate piece of self-protecting crap I've read in some time. Show some GD respect for the dead.

7. markvid

markvid Guest

They think the gov't is gonna be all over their asses sooner than later.

8. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

I wonder how Cena hasn't been suspended yet. When he had that serious neck injury, he returned MONTHS before his scheduled return to the ring and everyone saw it as a miracle and a test to his toughness. Sure, the guy is tough as nails, but with an injury of that extent, I wouldn't doubt the guy is roiding.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

And that differs from other companies in similar situations how, exactly?
    What are they supposed to say? The guy hadn't worked for them in two years.

10. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Haven't they been already? I mean there is a pretty lengthy scribe of Stephanie's conversation with Congress in one of the pro wrestling threads after Benoit passed.

11. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Please.

John Cena sells tickets and merchandise. WWE is not going to fine or suspend its meal ticket.

If the government was serious about investigating Vince McMahon's 'Roiding Roadtrippers, they would. The government has a mountain of evidence following the Chris Benoit double murder and suicide, along with Dr. Phil Astin recently pleading guilty to 175 federal counts of conspiracy and distributing drugs. Think, maybe, he might not feel like talking the fall for Vince McMahon and his "independent contractors?" Think that the good doctor might feel a need to chat about which wrestlers are breaking the law?

12. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

That sure as hell didn't stop WWE from suspending Randy Orton for sixty days after he was caught smoking marijuanain 2006. While there's a huge difference between marijuana and 'roids, it's all the same under WWE's wellness policy.

Draft saved Draft deleted